Chapter 3 The First Match

"Wake up you idiot! You are going to be LATE!" Erza shouted in Naruto's ear and he jerked wide awake and into an alert position. Naruto already had a panicked look on his face, and he was wearing only a black T-shirt with a swirl on the front, and some baggy shorts that he had fallen asleep in. He had trouble sleeping in his boxers with Erza around, since she had no need to sleep it was weird for him to know she was just around his body all of the time, even more so when he was almost naked.

Today was the day of the Chunin Exams, that much was a fact.

Naruto didn't even bother changing clothes and he burst through the door of his own home and jumped on top of the nearest roof. He was light footed as he raced towards a large open stadium with an open ceiling. Erza was forced to follow behind him closely, floating in the air behind him as she urged him to go even faster than he already was going. If only he had learned the Flight Armor instead of the Flame Empress Armor, then he would be able to get there with plenty of time to spare. Naruto knew changing into armor now would just slow him down, so he would wait until he actually needed armor to summon it.

If he showed off his best tricks at the very beginning, then the others would plan against him.

Shikamaru was like a super-genius after all.

"I am SO going to be late!" Naruto shouted as he ran in a straight line, using roof jumping, towards the right stadium that he knew he should have gone to. Erza was shaking her head at him with an amused look, before she leaned forward and entered his body. Naruto soon landed on the roof of the stadium, and down below her could see Neji and Genma, the referee for the match, standing down there waiting for him. Right now he was cursing Erza for her last minute training, before he jumped from the roof and used his chakra to stick to the innter walls of the stadium. Naruto started to run at full speed to the bottom, before he jumped off halfway and started to fall towards the center of the arena.

When Naruto landed, he tripped and started to roll across the ground until he stopped in front of Neji and Genma.

Naruto looked up sheepishly and started to stand up, before Genma smirked at the kid and looked at his watch.

"Just in time Naruto, nice new hair by the way. 10 more seconds and you would have been disqualified for failure to show up." Genma told him, and the Jonin chewed of the senbon between his teeth with a smirk on his face as he looked at the newly arrived Naruto, who was frankly not dressed for any form of combat. Naruto dusted himself off, before he smirked widely.

"I wouldn't miss this for the world, I just overslept. Some intense last minute training." Naruto laughed out sheepishly, and Genma nodded before he gained a serious look on his face. Naruto had been pretty late, so he wouldn't have time to catch Naruto up on the things that he had missed.

"Show up or not, fate has already decided that you have no chance of defeating me." Neji said, and for the first time in over a month Naruto had gotten a good look at the person he swore he would kick the crap out of. Neji was a slightly feminine male, as in softer features, wearing a baggy white coat with bandages over his right arm and leg, and a leaf headband just like Naruto wore over his own forehead. Naruto glared at the boy, because this was the boy that had almost killed a member of his own family for some reason Naruto cared nothing about. Naruto would wipe this boy's smug grin off his smug face.

"You aren't the only person here, so don't go deciding MY fate with those special eyes of yours. I can see my own fate with my own special eye, and if you see me losing, then I see myself changing your little prediction." Naruto said as he tapped the side of his face that housed his new brown eye. A very special eye if what Erza had told him was a true, and with it he would prove to Neji that there was no such thing as fate. Genma raised his hand in the air, before he swung it down. Genma jumped out of the way of the two battling ninja, before everyone who was watching in the stadium audience noticed that Neji had his arms crossed.