14

You believe it was around one am when your phone went off.

When you saw they were messages from Jungkook, you ignored them.

But then they kept coming. And coming. Telling you to meet him outside and that he'd stay out there until you showed up.

You tried to ignore him but the Jiminy cricket within you got the best you.

So at exactly one twelve, you wrap your blanket around and headed downstairs.

A strong gush of wind greets you as well as the boy who's been standing there for god knows how long.

Your brain awakens when you realize he's dripping from head to toe. "Jeon, what the hell?"

You usher him to quickly come inside because you're not a sadists.

"Explain to me why you're outside while there's literally a storm."

"Mom locked me out." He says. "Give me that."

He snatches the blanket you brought with you and uses that as a means to dry himself off. As if that'll work.

"She locked you out because?"

"I wasn't home on time. You're partially to blame for this."

You point at yourself, a bit bewildered by what he's saying. "I'm partially to blame? What did I do?"

"Here." He takes a small box that was hidden safely under his coat and hands it to you. "You like jewelry right?"

It's dry and the brand on top of the box makes you widen your eyes. Harry Winston.

Your body suddenly feels devoid of blood. You calmly put the box on the coffee table and massage the side of your head, closing your eyes. "So you're telling me that the reason you're in this situation is because you were buying me a gift? An expensive gift. For me?"

"You're making it sound like it's a bad thing." He discards his jacket and folds it neatly before placing it on the table.

"It's not a good thing either." You exclaim. "You can't just waste your money on things like this. Especially not for me."

"Well what do you want me to do? It's not like I can take it back. Either you take it or I flush it down the toilet. You pick."

He's so calm and composed as he tries not to wet the couch or carpet.

You leave the living room and come back with clothes he'd constantly leave here.

"Here. Go take a hot shower before you catch a cold." You hand him a towel as well and watch him walk off to where the bathroom is.

As soon as he leaves, your gaze lands on the expensive item on the coffee table. You take it between your fingers and open it to reveal a gold bracelet.

Upon further inspection, you're now  a hundred percent sure it's that Lily Cluster Gold Diamond Bracelet.

A sigh leaves you. It's pretty. But you can't accept it.

You place it down and head to the kitchen to prepare a glass of water for him. As much as you've come to dislike that guy, you can't force him out. It's raining like crazy outside and Mrs Jeon won't open the door for him.

It's happened in the past and will probably happen in the future.

You wonder what made him suddenly buy you a gift.

After placing the glass of water on the table, you grab a couple of blankets and pillows for him to use then retreat upstairs to rest.

You'll deal with anything that hits you first thing in the morning. So in the mean time, you need to rest your mind and body.

-

As he dries his hair with the towel, he picks up the box from the table and examines the elegant piece within.

He can't believe he went through so much just to obtain this little item.

If you knew about his effort would you still have left it here?

He lets out a sigh and notices the pillow and blankets on the couch.

Maybe Jimin's right. Maybe he is a jerk. Maybe there was a misunderstanding. Or even if there wasn't one, he should put the past behind him and move on.

Easier said than done.

He goes upstairs and opens the door to your room. Inside he finds you all fast asleep with your phone next to your head.

He goes inside, staring at your face. You were always a messy sleeper. Back when you were kids, your feet would somehow always end up planted on his face.

He takes your phone and puts it on the night stand, fixing the blanket properly over your body.

He brushes a hair away from your face and frowns.

He wonders what life would've been like if Kira didn't show up. If she didn't show him the real you.

Would he still have been blinded by the bond created by your parents? He only became your best friend because both your mothers were best friends.

A part of him wants to know why you suddenly changed. But a part of him is too afraid to find out the truth—as stupid as that sounds.

He places the gift next to your phone and turns the lamp off before leaving the room.

As soon as the door closes, you open your eyes and stare blankly at the ceiling.

Inside your head, you can't help but recall what Jimin said earlier.

The misunderstanding between you. And how Kira got involved in the first place.