Chapter 16

Namjoon was walking down the hallway with a wide smile on his face. Last night, he lets Jin sleep on his bed cuddling with him. The best birthday ever!

He went to the kitchen and saw his family and relatives already sitting in the table, eating their breakfasts.

"Good morning." He said and sat beside his mother. "Good morning, my son. How's your sleep?" The king asked. "A pure bliss." Namjoon answered and started to eat his breakfast.

Seung-Ho's father took a glance at his nephew and smirked evilly. ' Once I'll have the merman, I'll be so rich and I'll kill them one by one to take the throne.'

After breakfast, Namjoon finished his breakfast and stood up. "I'll take my leave." He said and went to the hallway back to his chamber.

Suddenly, he was grabbed by the back and before Namjoon could shout, a hand clasped his mouth and pulled him in the other hallway. The stranger lets go of him and Namjoon swiftly turned around to see Youngjae, the royal messenger. The prince sighed in relief. " Youngjae, you scared me." He said and puts his hand on his chest to calm his heart. "My apologies, your highness but I have something urgent to tell you." Youngjae said. "What is it?"

"Your relatives are going to kidnap the merman." He replied and Namjoon went pale. "How did you—" Youngjae cut him off. "I heard their conversation and you must take that merman back to the sea immediately where he will be safe." Namjoon went silent for awhile as he let the conversation sink in. "Your highness, he's no longer safe on land." Namjoon sighed and looked at Youngjae. "I'll bring him back tonight." He answered, feeling his heart crack. "Thanks for the warning." Youngjae bowed. "You're welcome." The young messenger walked down the hallway, leaving Namjoon.

The prince sighed and slowly walked down the hallway as he finally in front of his room. He opened the door silently and went inside. He locked the door and sighed.

The prince turned back, facing the bed to see his lover still sleeping with the blanket covering him. He smiled sadly at the sight. Namjoon slowly approached to the bed and sat down, not leaving his eyes on the merman. He could feel the lump in his throat and his breath started to be shaky as he stroked his pink hair gently.

"My love, I never knew that my worst fear would come. They found out about us, about you." He sniffed and tears started to form in his eyes. "I can't let them hurt you and I have no choice but...." He laid down beside the merman and hugged him tightly.

" Tonight, I'm going to let you go."