After The Wolves (After CH: 34)

Told from Audrey's perspective

Thomas and I ran up the stairs, leaving both the kitchen and a rattled Radu. We stopped in front of the door leading up to the stairs towards my chambers.

"Surely we should be dead by now". Thomas said as he took one of my hands. "Though I do fancy the thought of being with you forever, I do want to win my spot in the Academy". "I'll walk you to your chambers, Audrey Rose".

"Thank you, but I can manage on my own". I said, squeezing Thomas's hand gently. 

"I know you may think that Audrey Rose, but that doesn't mean I'm going to allow it". Thomas said in a flirtatious yet menacing way.

"Allow it?!" I exclaimed, dropping Thomas' hand. "I thought you would let me make my own decisions! You promised me!"

"I just want to make sure you arrive safely and unharmed. No one knows what's within the walls of this castle. I'm just looking out for you". 

"I'm leaving. I will see you at breakfast. Goodnight Thomas". I said as I walked up the stairs to my chambers.

I could hear Thomas' footsteps behind me, but I would not give him the benefit that having him close by made me feel safer than not.

When I reached the door to my chambers, I turned to face Thomas, who was now inches away from my face. Thomas looked me in the eyes and took one of my hands in his and said, "I would never dream about taking your freedom from you. All I want is to keep you safe". He gently caressed my chin with his free hand and kissed me tenderly on the lips. "Goodnight Audrey Rose, sleep well".

———————————————————————

As soon as Thomas had left, I entered my chambers and started to run a bath.

I had just turned the water off and was about to undress when I heard a knock on my chamber door. I gathered my skirts and walked over to open the door. Before I had a chance to see who was at the door, he walked in and sat on the settee next to the fireplace. I closed the door and questioned the man who I identified as Thomas.

"What are you doing here!? It's nearly midnight! You could have been caught!" I exclaimed, keeping my voice low.

"Don't worry, I was not followed or seen". Thomas put a hand to his heart. "But, knowing that you care for me like that makes me love you even more". Thomas said in a sultry tone. I blushed.

"Why are you here?" I asked Thomas.

Thomas looked to the water closet and said "I see you have a bath. Would you like my assistance with your dress? It looks very intricate and complicated".

"Stop avoiding my question. What are you doing here Thomas?" I was growing more impatient by the second. "My bath is growing cold".

"I'm not avoiding the question, Audrey Rose, I'm merely noticing your bath turning cold". "Also" Thomas took my hands in his and looked me in the eyes daringly. "Also, I love you, Audrey Rose".

"You imbicilic fool!" I exclaimed trying hard to keep my voice down. "You wandered through the castle after curfew just to tell me that you love me! This is a new low, even for you!" It was becoming more and more hard to not be upset with him.

"You're right Audrey Rose, I should not have come here late at night when you are getting ready for bed". Thomas said as he lowered his gaze but kept hold of my hands. "I hope that you will accept my apology, Audrey Rose".

I thought about his apology for a minute, and though it sounded forced I did forgive him. I needed to forgive him.

"I accept your apology, Thomas".

I leaned up and kissed Thomas' cheek and he jumped back, surprised. "Goodnight Thomas. This time actually go to bed".

"I will m'lady, goodnight" He turned to leave and before stepping out the door he said, "don't let the vampires bite".