Chapter 6: Cerberus The Puppy

A week has passed since Katherine arrived in the Underworld. To her, that week was stretched into years, each second feeling like hours.

Despite having Namie around, Katherine still felt alone. Namie was only with her for a few hours in the day as she had other things to attend to in the palace, and with the god busy with the dead, Katherine longed for company.

She spent most of her time in her room; and if she wasn't in her room, she was in the garden or in the library. She would spend hours reading books of the different legends on the original gods or staring at the jeweled flowers.

Katherine began to think that this life was no different than the life she had before. Even the hole she thought Namie could fill was still there in her heart. She wondered why she still felt alone when she was with her sister.

The artificial sun glared down at the human girl, the cavern still dark with jagged rocks in the ceiling. Today, she was in the garden, sitting on a small bench near the center of the garden.

The little bit of the garden she saw her day with Hades was nothing compared to the rest. In the center was a small hedge maze with green walls reaching forever into the cavern ceiling. In the center of the maze was a magnificent coble fountain with a beautiful sculpture of a young nymph. She looked so real on the pedestal, her hair like a waterfall down her shoulders and her dress flowy. Katherine often envied the statures beauty.

Every once in a while, a spirit or a nymph would pass by through the maze. They looked at her and smiled, confused as to why their lord brought a human to the Underworld.

The solitude brought some sort of peace to Katherine. Though she was often lonely, being alone brought more peace than loneliness, despite bring alone for most of her teenage years.

Katherine laid down on the bench, staring up at the cavern ceiling. She began to think what her parents are up to. No doubt they hadn't noticed her absence; her father in the office and her mother in another man's bed.

Katherine loved her parents, even though she knew they had abandoned her in grief. They didn't see their only daughter, even when Namie was alive. No right person would love parents like that; but Katherine did.

"Enjoying the view," a voice said, breaking her thoughts.

Katherine immediately sat up, having been scared of the god in front of her. He chest vibrated with his chuckles and the corners of his eyes crinkled as he smiled. Katherine noticed he looked more handsome–if it was even possible–as he smiled.

Today, he wore a classic black suit instead of the velvet rope he traditionally wore, his tone muscles and broad shoulders snug in the suit. His black hair was combed back, and his black eyes seemed to burn with smothered embers.

Katherine still thought of Hades as a very dangerous man, but the devil was always beautiful as he was God's favorite.

Hades noticed that the girl was staring at him, but didn't tell. He knew she would be embarrassed to be staring, but a part of him didn't mind. Something always seemed to stir inside of him when Katherine got the chance to look from the thick veil known as her hair. It made his stomach feel warm.

But he always pushed those feelings away. Even if he was infatuated with the girl, she would never have him. He was a god, the god of death. His darkness would taint her.

But he promised to give it a shot. It's not like he had much longer anyways.

"You scared me half to death," Katherine said to Hades once her speeding heart calmed down. Hades chuckled at her unintended pun. "I didn't expect to see you hear."

"I didn't have much work today, and thought to accompany you, if you didn't mind."

"No, of course. How did you know I was here?"

He shrugged. "Lucky guess."

Katherine shook her head, stood up from her bench, and vegan to walk back out the maze. When she noticed Hades hadn't followed, she turned her shoulder and raised an eyebrow.  "You coming?"

Hades and Katherine walked the massive garden together, making various small talks. Katherine felt at ease when Hades talked to her. She had thought it was due to her lack of attention over the years, and didn't dwell on it.

"You know," Katherine thought aloud. "I don't think I've ever seen Cerberus around. Where is he?"

"Do you want to see him?"

"Really? Is it safe?"

Hades smiled. "He is completely friendly, so I don't see the harm. Though, he is not what you humans picture him to be."

Not like he seems?

Katherine followed Hades to the back edge of the garden. In the shade of trees there was several small dog houses, each different but extravagant in designs. Why were they heading towards a few dog kettles?

Hades stopped at one particular. This one was larger than the others, this one like a replica of the palace.

He clicked his tongue against his teeth and softly spoke in his native tongue. Katherine heard a loud howl like a yawn coming from the house, and after a few moments, a small dog with three heads came out from the house.

The small dog had three separate heads, each with its own personality: the left one looking half asleep, the center one yapping in delight, and the right one with a slight frown in his muzzle. It had a very shiny black coat that glistened in the sun.

"Come here, Cerberus."

Cerberus' three heads snapped their heads at their owner and eagerly ran up to him.

"That's Cerberus?" Katherine asked when Hades picked up the gate keeper of the Underworld.

"I told you you humans painted another picture of Cerberus. Always making death dramatic."

To say Katherine was shocked was an understatement. She had always pictured Cerberus to be a giant beast who helped protect the Underworld and guard the gates to the entrance.

"Would you like to hold him?"

"Are you sure?"

"He is completely harmless."

Hades spoke to the dog, telling it about his 'new friend' and to not harm her. Hades knew the dog understood. He gently placed Cerberus in Katherine's arms, and immediately, the dog took a liking to the girl, licking her face.

Katherine laughed as the tiny dog lick her. She didn't notice that the god beside her was admiring her.