Chapter 7: Hallows Eve Ball-Part 1

Happy early Halloween!!!
°
°
°
°
°
°

The next few weeks came and went in a blur, and before too long, it was Halloween.

Growing up, the sisters loved Halloween. It was the only time they dressed up as gruesome creatures to scare others. When they were smaller, they had a competition to see which one could get the most candy. Of course, Katherine always won.

Katherine awoke in the morning of Halloween, a big smile already stretching her face. It was her first Halloween there in the Underworld, and she wondered how Hades did Halloween here.

Getting up from her massive bed,  she wrapped herself in her silk robe and walked out into the hall.

The dark hall was decorated with purple lights, leaves, pumpkins, and spiderwebs. Maids and servants worked furiously to get the palace decorated for tonight.

The night before, Hades explained to Katherine that the gods host a massive ball on Halloween night called the Hallows Eve Ball. Everyone wears costumes or any outfit they choose. He recited times when his niece, Aphrodite would wear the shortest and skimpest costumes known to man, or Dionysus getting insanely hammered and making trouble.

The way Hades told of his family was like they were like any normal crazy family; not gods that saw over the earth since creation. She also had no idea about the minor gods and creatures that guided and helped humans. For example, Aphrodite's son Eros, the god love and desire. They all branched off in different directions, but they all came from the original.

Katherine made her way to the throne room. She knew Hades would be there, as he normally was. She use to think that he slept in that marble throne.

The throne room was still as grand as her first day three weeks ago. The pews for the souls were gone, leaving the area open for the ball tonight. Cobwebs hung in every corner and candles floating in the air, casting dark shadows across the room.

The throne sat on the platform, and she still felt intimidated by the massive size of it. It's black marble shape caught the light from the candles and it shimmered and glittered.

But what caught her eye was a more smaller throne next to the larger one. Unlike it's counterpart, this throne was pure white with pearls in the armrests and other pale jewels.

Why did Hades add another throne? Was it his wife's?

Come to think about it, Katherine has yet to see his wife; Persephone, the daughter of Demeter. It was one of the most recognizable myths of Hades. Hades never mentioned Persephone to the human, nor engaged in any talks about her. The servants would whisper among themselves about their master. When Katherine would ask them, they denied anything and continued back to work.

Curiosity crept up on Katherine. A small part of her wanted to sit on the throne. She wanted to see it from Hades' eyes.

Looking around to see if anyone was around, she walked up the stairs and onto the platform. The thrones up close were both intimidating yet beautiful. Hades' throne up close, she noticed the different shards of jewels embedded into the marble, and the white one looked to be made of diamond.

Doubling checking to see if anyone saw her, she cautiously walked up to the smaller throne and sat down.

It was surprisingly comfortable despite it being made of diamond. She felt tall as she looked at the room below her. She imagined the pews of souls, waiting for the final resting place. She imagined Hades sitting in his throne and her next to him, guiding souls and providing comfort to those who were hesitate.