Chapter 8: Hallows Eve Ball-Part 2

(Pic of Apollo)------>

The throne room was packed with men and women, all wearing either formal wear or costumes. The candles casted long shadows on the floor and walls and the cobwebs and jack-o-lanterns made the room feel dark and old, a spooky type of vibe.

The large hall was packed with men and women in formal wear or costumes. Couples danced in the center, dancing to the harmony of the music as spectators watched and talked of gossip. It was hard to tell who were the gods and goddesses, Hades family, but the haunting mood of the ball had pushed away the anxiety.

Katherine stared in awe at the sight. Her nerves were gone, replaced with adrenaline and excitement. A smile was permanently etched into her face.

Hades had to steal another glance at her. She looked beautiful when she smiled, which was rare. While preparing Namie for her new role, she had told him times that Katherine was jealous of her, as Namie was the favorite among their parents. Namie knew, even if Katherine hid it well. She told him that she suffered depression through most of their lives, and developed self-destructive habits.

A large part of him admired Katherine for staying strong. He could only imagine the dark thoughts that would run through her head, the death of her sister only triggering more of those thoughts.

He subconsciously shook his head. He was a cold hearted god, since when did he admire humans?

Since Katherine showed up.

They walked together the center of the room, eyes naturally being drawn to the couple. Katherine felt eyes on her, and her hands began to sweat again. She didn't like having attention on her.

"Don't worry about them," Hades cooed quietly in her ear. "Pretend that no one is here."

Easier said than done, Katherine thought bitterly.

The crowd broke apart to let them onto the dance floor. Those who were dancing stepped onto the side to let the god and human dance.

Hades removed her arm from his and stood in front of her. He bowed, gesturing his hand towards her, silently asking her for a dance. Katherine curtsy and gently placed her hand in his, accepting his invitation. Hades straightened up and pulled her body close to his, one hand on her waist and the other still holding her hand. Katherine placed her hand on his shoulder, feeling the taunt muscles flex underneath her touch.

The music began. Hades started it slow, only making small steps in a small circle. The nerves from feeling eyes on her were back and butterflies buzzed in the pit of her stomach.

"Pretend that no one is there."

Katherine took a deep breath, calming her nerves. She loosened her tight grip on his hand, and let the music overtake her.

Hades noticed her sudden calmness, and now, he freely danced with her, twirling her and moving at a faster pace.

Katherine's body hummed as she and the god danced. Her body was like liquid, flowing along with the music. She didn't tell Hades that she use to take ballroom dancing when she was little.

It seemed like eternity as they danced. The nerves was completely gone and Katherine no longer noticed the eyes of the patrons. She was lost in the music as she danced with Hades, never breaking eye contact.

The longer she stared at Hades, the more she noticed small details. Like the faint scar that cut into the corner of his lips, tiny dots of freckles on his nose, or how much his black eyes swirled. Black eyes were meant to be cold and bitter, but his were soft and burned with an untamed flame.

When she first met him, he was frightening, treating her with punishment. But over the previous weeks, in moments like this, she saw this side, a side that he didn't let others see. If anyone saw this side, they would see him as weak and try to take over his kingdom.

All too soon, the song ended and the dance ended. Both of them bowed, silently thanking each other for the dance. The silent hall erupted into clapping and cheers. Heat rose to Katherine's cheeks as Hades pulled her away from the dance floor.

"I didn't realize you could dance," Hades said, his voice evident of the pride he felt.

"I took ballroom lessons growing up. It was one thing I truly enjoyed, and one thing I was actually good at."

"That couldn't be the only thing."

"It was. I didn't have friends besides Namie. I was the loner in the back that no one noticed. In a lot of ways, I preferred it that way."

Hades related to Katherine. Like her, he preferred to the solitude that the Underworld provided. Even though he had family, he couldn't stand more than a few hours with them. Katherine was in her sister's shadow, her parents only seeing Namie. His cold heart went out to her.

They stayed side by side for another hour. Katherine drunk a few glasses of strawberry champagne and snacks. At one point, Katherine took off her heels, the blisters irritating her.

Hades had to attend to something, leaving Katherine alone. Some glanced at her, either admiring her for her dancing or glaring her down, despite her sitting on the throne Hades provided her. She would've sunk down if not for the tight corset.

After a little while, when Hades hadn't return, Katherine ventured out back to the main floor. The cool floor sent small shivers up her spine.

She stood at the edges of the crowd, watching others enjoy themselves. She still hadn't seen any of Hades' family. It was hard to tell who was who in the sea of masks.

"You must be the human my brother took in," a husky voice said beside her.

Her heart jumped at the surprise. She hadn't realized someone stood beside her.

She looked at the side and saw a very handsome man, towering over her. He had similar features as Hades: strong jawline, high chiseled cheekbones, and a muscular body with broad shoulders and muscles that looked stretched in his too tight skin. But he had tan skin and blonde hair. His chest was bare, his abs chiseled, and he wore white cloth about his hips.

There was something about him that seemed off. Katherine couldn't put her finger on it. Maybe it was the champagne talking to her.

"Sorry, I haven't introduced myself. I am Apollo. I am assuming you know what I do, human?"

"You're the God of music, medicine, archery, and the sun. And your sister is Artemis."

Apollo smiled fondly at the girl. "Impressive. I didn't take you as one to now my family."

"I spend a lot of time in the library."

Hades stared intensely at Katherine and his nephew Apollo. Something foreign stirred in his stomach. He didn't like the fact that Apollo has already taken a liking to her, and seeing how the other men practical drooled over her made him tremble. He knew Apollo was serious trouble, he had hoped he wouldn't show. His hand subconsciously tightened around the glass he held, almost breaking it.

"Jealous aren't we brother," Zeus asked with a smirk. "By the way you are staring at your nephew, I would say you have feelings for the human."

"Don't kid yourself," Poseidon laughed. "No one can get his icy heart thawed. Not since her."

"True as it may be, I don't have feelings for Katherine," Hades said through gritted teeth.

"You don't have long, brother," Zeus said, his playful tone gone. "You have to have a Queen. You don't have long."

"I still have a few years left."

"Still, dont wait. I know that since her, you've felt bleak and miserable. But you need to let go and find someone. Though we always argue, we do not want to see our brother fade out of existence."

Hades was silent. Zeus spoke the truth. Without Persephone, he believed his life was meaningless. But since seeing Katherine, something had risen up from the darkness. Around her, his heart began to beat; he felt relaxed when she smiled; she felt right when they danced.

Could she really be the one?