Chapter 25: The Trial

Two months later...

To say that Katherine was nervous was an understatement.

Today was Apollo's trial in front of The Counsel. The Counsel consisted of the original six gods and goddesses who defeated Cronus and the others that followed.

Because the attacks were held in the Underworld, everyone thought was best to hold the trials on earth. It was mutual ground for the Olympic gods and Hades. And because the case was so close to home for both Hades and Katherine, Hades would be sitting out from The Counsel. He had already seen the evidence and his feelings for the human would cloud his already bias verdict.

Everyone was seated in the Parthenon. Satyrs, nymphs, centaurs, and other numerous creatures from Olympus came to see the Sun God's trial. To say that the news shocked them was an understatement.

What was even more shocking was that the Oracle of Delphi knew that all of it was going to happen. She knew about her god's intentions with that human girl and the lengths he was going to go through to overthrow Zeus to resurrect Persephone. That was beyond treason... That was banishment to Tartarus.

Katherine sat inbetween Hades and Hecate, near The Counsel. There was no one in the black throne near the opposite end: Hades' throne. It looked like the throne back in the Underworld. It was towering, the black marble glistening in the sunlight peering into the Parthenon.

She wondered why his throne wasn't with his brothers, Zeus and Posideon. They were the most powerful out of the gods, creators of Olympus, the sea, and the Underworld.

It didn't seem to bother Hades, he was use to being left out in most decisions regarding his family. If it didn't effect the Underworld, it didn't effect him.

But this trial did effect him.

Apollo blackmailed a goddess into manipluating them to help him overthrow the Father of the Gods and mortals. He did everything in the Underworld. It was Hades' business.

But because of his closeness to Katherine, his family saw it was an obsticale to a complete unbias trial.

If it had to be, so be it. Besides, his family wouldn't be able to control him once he saw his nephew.

The only reason he was here was to be there for Katherine. Namie wanted to come, but souls weren't permitted to return to the world of the living. Even a god has to abade to the rules set by The Fates.

Everyone hushed when they saw Apollo, tired and exhausted in his chains, which were constricting his abilites. His usually tan and bright skin seemed dull and almost pale like a mortal's. Everyone seemed to hold their breaths as Apollo walked infront of the platform where the gods and goddesses sat on their thrones.

You could see the hint of nervousness and fear in his eyes once he stood there in his place.

There was no one to defend him. He admitted to everything, so why bother having someone to defend him?

The crowd settled down, waiting for the scene to unfold.

Katherine froze when Apollo looked at her. Though she hated the god for what he put her through, he looked...broken. He didn't look like the god he was before, he looked so tired like he hadn't slept in months. The chains on his wrists were digging into his skin, leaving brusies and lines of dried blood behind.

The longer she looked at him, the more her anger and resentment began to fade away. Maybe she pitied him?

Hades saw Apollo's gaze fall on Katherine, and with a sinister look, Apollo quckly turned away.