Chapter 15: Trouble In The Darkness

Katherine's fingers skimmed over the old and weathered keys on the piano.

It had been years since she has touched piano keys. They were old and a shade of yellow instead of a pearly white. Despite how old it was, she could still feel the uses it had, even if no one used it for a while.

No one knew that Katherine could play the piano. It was a natural talent that she kept hidden from everyone. Even Namie didn't know.

Namie didn't know a lot about her younger sister now. She didn't know that Katherine knew how to ballroom dance or play the piano. She liked it like that.

While stumbling around looking for somewhere else to spend her time besides the library and garden, she accidentily found a room at the far end of an emoty corridor. It was evident that no one came down the corridor.

It felt sad, going down that corridor. The darkness down that hall felt sad. Like it had been abandoned for years and years until Katherine rediscovered it.

The room that the piano was in was very spacious, the walls mostly made of tall mirrors with high ceilings. There were chandeliers hanging above, casting elegant shawdows across the room. Katherine noticed that on the far wall, there were two grand French doors that lead out to a big balconey and staircase down to the gardens.

Katherine had left open the French doors to let in a light breeze from the cavern.

Taking a deep breath, Katherine began to play one of her favorite songs she listened to back home.

"Would you bled for me?

Lick it off my lips like you needed me?

Would you sit me on the couch with your fingers in my mouth?

You look so cool when you're reading me."

Katherine bobbed her head to the beat of the piano, her fingers moving along the piano keys, hitting them like butterfly kisses.

"But I've got my mind made up this time,

'Cause there's a menace in my bed,

Can you see his silhouette?

And I've got my mind made up this time,

Go on and light a cigarette,

Set a fire in my head, set a fire in my head tonight."

Katherine continued to sing and play, the noise echoing in the spaceous room. She was lost in the music as it flowed oh so easily through her.

It reminded her of the times when she would go to her tutor's home for hours, telling her parents that she was at the library studying, while in fact she was learning to play piano. She had never felt so free before. Only the piano gave her that type of freedom that she longed for. She longed to be free from the darkness in her heart, to move passed the trauma.

In the weeks that she was here, most of the time, she forgot about her parents and Namie's murderer. Those things that plagued her mind wasn't there all the time like before. In a way, she escaped those physical demons that haunted her.

They were still there, scratching at the back of her head. But now, she didn't fear them as much.

Hades was around to protect her.

Protecting her. Why did that thought make her feel giddy inside?

"Don't forget me, don't forget me.