Chapter 24: Confession

It had been a few days since Katherine woke up as...whatever she was now. She felt different, lighter and stronger. Any shred of darkness inside had vanished. Well, except the gaping hole still in her heart.

She must've had some realistic idea on how Hades would react. If she was...normal, she imagined him hugging her and kissing her. But he didn't. He just stared at her before walking out of the room, mumbling "She's not the same."

He was right. Katherine was different.

She was a descendant of Persephone, the former goddess of the Underworld. A descendant of the Greek gods that she believed to only be tales.

Persephone explained to her that she didn't realize that the child she had would ever survive. "Times were different then," she said. "Girls were subjected to so much at such an early age. I never told Adonis about his daughter. Of course he knew something was wrong when I was sick, but I hid my belly by some illusions Iris gave to me."

"What about my sister, Namie?"

"She didn't inherent my line. She's purely human."

"So, what does that make me?"

"Well, in most cases, you would be a demigod, a hero of the gods. But you're not my direct child. My child never showed strength or abilities, so I never thought of it, aside from the fact I never expected for them to survive long enough to have children. I believe you're merely a reincarnation of part of my being."

Katherine looked at the goddess in confusion. "I thought reincarnation was a soul transfering to another body?"

Persephone nodded. "It is, for humans. It's rare for part of a god to have a part of them in someone else. But I was with a mortal man in the human world, not with Hades. So you are still human, but you do possess the powers of a god."

Despite Persephone's patience to explain it, Katherine was still confused. She wasn't a god, but possessed god-like abilites.

For the last few days, she spent her time in the maze, away from everyone. Namie would come out from time to time, trying to comfort her, but Katherine wanted to be left alone. Cerberus, the little puppy that Hades showed her during the early days of her stay, sat near her feet, doing the only thing a normal dog would do.

He didn't beg for attention. He didn't try to do anything cute. He was smart enough to know Katherine's mood wouldn't change. So he sat by her feet, providing a silent comfort that she desperately needed.

Who knew the guardian of the Gates to the Underworld would be so considerate.

Katherine sighed before looking up at the castle. From here, she could see the balconey to Hades' chamber. The French doors were closed and the curtains drawned.

Hades hadn't come out of his room since she woke up.

He couldn't even look her in the eye.

"She's not the same."

That hurt Katherine more than anything.

Everything that she felt for him, the memory of him proclaiming his feelings, their kiss...

All of it seemed to slip away from her grasp, turning as thin as sand through a hourglass.

It was stupid for her to think that anything would be the same after she woke up. After all, she wasn't completely human anymore.

Why would Hades want to be with someone who was a decendent between the wife he loved and a mortal?

Maybe it was best that Katherine left the Underworld.