8

After enjoying a calm movie together, "The Fault In Our Stars," the two blankly stared at the cheap television as the end credits rolled in, a few tears rolling down Noel's cheeks, Roman expressionlessly reading the cast of the movie. "Are you seriously crying?" He asked, looking at the sniffling boy with puffy eyes. 

Noel made a poor attempt at hiding his eyes, shaking his head. "N-No," he lied, his voice cracking embarrassingly. Roman chuckled at how full of emotion Noel was unlike all the other kids attending that school. 

He wasn't afraid to cry a few tears and ruin the facade of being "manly" and "masculine." Just because he identified as a boy didn't mean that he had to act emotionless and arrogant all the time to pass as one. 

"Sorry, it was a very s-sad movie." Roman patted the boy's curls, "It's okay, it's a good thing that you're crying. It means that you feel empathy for others." Noel removed his hand, wiping his tears and sniffling, his pupils dilated and full of nostalgia, remembering the first time he read the book of the movie he had just watched. 

"Come on, we have classes tomorrow. We should cook something then hit the hay." Roman stood up, pushing himself off the couch and standing in front of his roommate, his hand extended as an indication of wanting to lend a hand. Noel accepted, pulling himself up with Roman's help, wiping his eyes for the last time before he walked over to the groceries sitting on the counter.

"Can you cook?" He asked Roman in a small voice, eyeing the limited amount of materials they had. "I can make salad and ramen." "Ew, salad." Roman looked at the little boy in wonder, flabbergasted. "Salad is very good for you." "Sorry, but do I look like a goat to you? I don't want to eat grass-like greens." "Salad can taste absolutely scrumptious if you prepare it well." "I'd rather go with the latter. Can you pass me the ramen?" "No, you're going to taste my five-star salad dish tonight." 

The smaller boy scrunched his face up, crinkling his nose at the thought. "No thanks, I'm fine without it." "Then starve, Noel, you're not making ramen." Noel's eyes flickered to the packet, his brain forming an escape plan for him in milliseconds. 

"Okay, okay, let me make some room for you," he said, moving aside and closer to the packet. When he sensed that Roman wasn't looking, he reached for the ramen packet, jumping in shock when it was snatched away from him. 

He eyed the taller boy who put it up into the highest cupboard, a place where he surely couldn't reach even if he climbed the counter. Even if he did, he was too lazy to climb in the first place. Food didn't motivate him enough to do the littlest amount of sports. 

"Why?" He whined, his hands stretched outwards to emphasize his frustration. "I told you no, that's why. Listen to me." Roman said, starting to prepare his dish. 

Noel sat down onto the floor, crossing his arms over his chest, pouting like a little child. He stayed in the exact position for approximately fifteen minutes, until he was pulled up, two plates full of honey mustard chicken, avocado and bacon salad. It looked decent to Noel, but he kept complaining to keep up his pettiness. 

"I don't want to eat it." He huffed, looking elsewhere. Roman raised an eyebrow, sitting down and digging in. "That's disrespectful. There are people out there without food who would kill to sit at this table and enjoy this salad."

Noel lowered his arms, feeling horrible for acting so spoiled. With tears gathering in his eyes, he shamed himself, scolding himself for acting so juvenile. He sat down in front of Roman, who was staring at him. "I'm so sorry," he said quietly, his head hanging low. Roman felt bad. He didn't want to make Noel feel upset. "Hey, it's okay. You were joking around." Noel shook his head but dismissed the topic, picking his fork up and stabbing the salad.

Roman had stopped eating, watching his reaction closely. Noel observed the piece before he put it into his mouth, chewing slowly. His eyes widened as flavor exploded in his mouth, Roman smirking, already knowing that the boy was enjoying it. Once Noel swallowed, he opened his mouth, "holy moly, this tastes amazing!" Roman smirked, "I have something that tastes better."