29

Noel's diary hadn't been returned. That was what sent Roman over the edge. The only reason he was keeping sane was being Noel needed him right now. The injured boy had been mewling like a kitten since the nurse left, whining about how everywhere hurt. 

He had his pinky wrapped around Roman's index finger, the older trying to concentrate on tending to his wounds. 

"Baby," Roman sighed, looking at the pouty boy, who was laying on his side and letting Roman tend to his wounds. "I have some bad news." Noel looked at him curiously, moving so that he could put his head on the other boy's lap.

Roman began to tell him the news about his diary while playing with his soft hair, "Before I beat the shit out of Sam, I told everyone in the hallway to bring your diary back in an hour. If not, I would beat everybody until I found it, and I will. But it's been almost two hours, angel. I don't think that they will give up the diary." 

Noel stayed quiet, biting his swollen lip. "It's okay," he whispered suddenly after a moment of silence. "So what if they read it. Everybody probably has by now anyway. I don't need it," he said bravely, although his heart still held a lot of anticipation and misery. 

He was sad to let the diary he had kept with him since he was in his early teens. That little book had been with him through thick and thin and had been the only friend he had that would listen and help cope with his problems.

Now, it was gone.

Roman had sensed the discomfort in his tone. Offering the little boy his hand, he watched as the younger shyly grasped onto it, holding it softly. "I never said that I wasn't going to get it back for you, darling. I promise I'm going to get you your diary back even if it means I need to send every student studying here to the hospital."

Noel shook his head; his eyes widened at how violent Roman could be when he wanted. "P-Please don't hurt anyone. It's okay. I don't need the diary. I don't." 

Roman furrowed his eyebrows. He hated how Noel let people walk all over him as if he were a doormat. He just let people get away with doing injustice, things that weren't fair to do. 

"I'm sorry, lovely. But you can't let they get away with mistreating you like that. They need to pay for what they've done. I'm going to make sure that they're sorry." Noel just nodded, rolling over to his side.

"You know. I'm still kinda mad that you went on a date with a girl right in front of me," he sassed, looking back at the older from over his shoulder. Roman thought about it, suddenly remembering his evil plans to try and distance himself from Noel. 

He cooed at the boy, leaning down and kissing his cheek, "I'm sorry, angel," he apologized, explaining himself. "I only did that so you would stay away from me." 

"Why would you want me to stay away from you, you stupid butthead?" The dominant looked at Noel, frowning at the degrading nickname. 

"Butthead, huh?" 

"Shut up and answer the question." 

Roman sighed, rubbing Noel's arm up and down, "After intruding and invading your privacy, I was too shocked to find out about your secret. I didn't know how to react. I'm not exactly a good boyfriend, as you can tell. I'm not a gentleman or someone your parents would approve of. I've gotten into bad habits and am a delinquent. I'm not good for you, Noel. We both should know that. At the time, I could control myself and stay away from you since we had just met again after middle school."

Noel pouted at the mention of bad memories. "But after seeing you get close with Finnick, I lost that control." Noel, salty, just nodded, yawning. "Okay," he calmly said, a petty look on his face. 

"Okay?" Roman asked, stunned. He had been expected something deeper in response to his explanation. "Yes. Okay."

"Are you mad at me?" The older asked, placing his hand on Noel's shoulder, trying to turn him towards him. He didn't answer. So, Roman asked his question.

"What made you get into here, Noel. How did you end up in such a school? An angel like you doesn't belong here. I've bee thinking of that for ages, ever since I saw you." He could feel him tense up, his body freezing. 

Noel didn't want to answer that. He knew that whatever Roman did, whichever habits he had, could nowhere be near as what he'd done. He was a horrible person, not at all an angel. Everyone in his hometown knew that and would remind him of his past every day he lived there.

But he also trusted Roman enough to open up.

He turned around and sat up, avoiding eye contact. He hadn't spoken about this for ages. He could feel Roman stare at his face, awaiting his answer in anticipation. He opened his mouth to start talking, when the doorbell rang obnoxiously, someone repeatedly pressing the doorbell to grab the attention of the two boys inside.

Roman grunted, signaling Noel to get off him so that he could go and open the door. Noel looked at his lap, playing with his fingers, his heart beating rapidly as he swallowed the lump in his throat. He was so nervous that he had begun to sweat, forgetting about his injuries and his aching body once he was reminded of his accident.

Roman opened the door, about to yell at the person who had disturbed them, when he saw the same diary he had read a few weeks ago without its owner's permission. With a sly smirk, he picked it up, looking left and right to see if whoever gave it back was near. But he didn't care. He had his little angel's diary back.

Turning around, he offered Noel the prized possession in his hand.