Boy in the Bubble [Part 1] (Izuku Midoriya X Reader)

A/N: This one shot is based off the song "Boy in the Bubble" by Alec Benjamin. It's technically an AU where quirks do not exist. It just never mentions them, lol. I might do a second part, a Bakugou X Reader, depending on how this one goes. Maybe I'll throw in a part three with both Izuku AND Katsuki if I'm feeling extra creative. And in case you haven't noticed, I like Alec Benjamin's music, and I find a lot of inspiration with it. But yeah, you don't care. Proceed!

⚠️Warning⚠️
Mentions of abuse ahead

• • •

The night was cold. The fresh autumn leaves covered the cracked sidewalk underneath Izuku's feet. A puff of smoke filled the air each time he let out a breath. He walked slowly, hugging his arms tightly against his shaking figure.

He wondered what he'd looked like in that moment. Hunched over. Black eye, he guessed. Izuku moved his hand to touch just beneath his nose before pulling it back to examine his fingers. No blood. It must've dried.

As he approached his house, the boy glanced down at the watch wrapped around his wrist. 6:48. Izuku's thoughts ran wild through his head.

What is mom going to say? What will she do? How much should I tell her? Should I tell her anything at all?

With each step the green-haired boy took, the more nervous he felt, and before he knew it, he was standing outside of his house.

Izuku stepped through the gate, slowly approaching the entrance. He took a deep breath and placed his hand on the doorknob.

He hesitated.

Then, bravely entered the house, his chin sticking out in the air confidently.

When the boy entered the house, he immediately noticed a plate of chicken lying on the table in the dining room.

He approached the food and placed his index finger over it. He frowned after discovering it was cold.

He sighed and entered the family room, plopping down on the sofa and running a hand through his messy green locks.

"Izuku?" His mother's sweet, gentle voice called from another part of the house.

Said boy stiffened.

She entered the living room with a bright grin on her face. Her happy aura vanished when she saw the state her son was in.

"Izuku! Oh my," she whispered as she approached the greenette and placed her hands on his bruised cheeks. "Boy, you gotta tell me what they did to you."

Izuku winced at the pain that shot through his body when his mother touched him.

"You don't want to know the things I had to do," He replied, taking Inko by the wrists and gently pulling her hands from his face.

She huffed and crossed her arms, giving Izuku a hard glare. "Son, you gotta tell me why you're black and blue."

Izuku cast his green, tear filled eyes on the floor. "I didn't want trouble..."

I'm the boy in the bubble. He thought.

"But then came trouble."