Protecting You (Denki Kaminari X Reader)

A/N: Also kind of a Katsuki X Reader, but mainly focusing on Denki,

Y/N hadn't asked to be a part of the Bakusquad. Though, she never really had a choice. She knew exactly what she was in for the moment she accepted the hothead of class 1-A as her boyfriend.

The H/C-haired girl was prepared for a whole lot of smothering affection from Mina, a ton of raging jealousy from Katsuki, and an endless chain of flirting from the one and only Denki Kaminari.

She and her group of friends were seated at their usual table during lunchtime, where Y/N was trying and failing to simply enjoy her meal with no interruptions.

"Has anyone ever told you how gorgeous those E/C eyes of yours are?" Kaminari questioned, inching closer to the clearly annoyed girl.

Y/N swallowed the food in her mouth. Without even looking at Denki, she answered with, "Yes. My boyfriend has. Y'know, the one sitting across from you who could beat your ass with nothing but his pinkie?"

Kaminari swallowed thickly and glanced over at the ash blonde, who was radiating anger.

Y/N reached over to Katsuki and placed a hand on top of his, where his fingernails were digging into the surface of the table.

That called him down slightly, much to both Y/N and Denki's relief.

Even after the H/C-haired girl's warning, Kaminari continued.

"You smell really nice," he cooed into her ear, "New perfume?"

The tips of the blonde's fingers grazed the back of Y/N's neck with light, wistful touches, causing her to jolt. With a strangled sound of frustration leaving her throat, she turned and delivered a rough punch to Denki's shoulder.

"Ah- Ouchie!" He clutched his hand on the spot she'd struck and rested his forehead on the surface of the table, wincing and writhing in pain.

Katsuki shot Y/N a look of approval accompanied by a smirk.

"That's my girl."

•••

"Please?" Kaminari asked with a goofy smile on his face. He had his hands linked in front of him in a begging manner.

Y/N raised her eyebrows, a look of disbelief on her face.

"I highly doubt that's why you want to come over," She deadpanned, adjusting her textbooks in the crook of her arm.

"No, honestly! I'm totally going to fail without your help!" A pout found the blonde's face, and Y/N suddenly found it ten times more difficult to decline his request.

After she ran over her options in her mind for a moment, a huff left her lips. "If we do this, we're studying. That's all. No funny business."

Denki's marigold eyes lit up and he nodded his head frantically. "No funny business! Promise!"

•••

"Pikashit, knock it off," Y/N seethed, attempting to push her classmate away from her for the fourth time.

They were lying down on her bed, books and papers splayed on the comforter beneath them. Denki had his front pressed up against Y/N's back, much to the H/C-haired girl's distaste.

"I just wanna cuddle!" The boy said cheekily, snaking his arms around Y/N's torso from behind.

As a reflex, she moved her arm back, jabbing her elbow into Kaminari's abdomen.

He let out a distressed groan and removed Y/N from his hold.

He curled up in pain, "Could you... Stop hitting me? Please?"

Y/N let out a sound of annoyance and turned to face Denki, pushing herself up into a sitting position. "Could you stop?! You promised me no funny business!"

"But, it's not funny! I'm serious!" Denki said in a desperate voice.

Y/N, ignoring his sincerity, narrowed her eyes. "You're never serious, Kaminari!"

He followed her lead, rolling onto his knees. "I am when I need to be! I care about you Y/N!"

The girl watched with a blank expression as a tear traced from the corner of Kaminari's eye down his cheek before dropping from his chin onto the sheets.

She was too stunned to say anything.

So he went on, in a quiet, shaky tone, "Why did you go for Bakugou? Out-Out of all the people you could've chosen... Why him?!"

Denki's hands flew up to yank at his bright hair. He closed his watery eyes tightly, making Y/N's heart clench a bit.

"Why not... Me?!"

She knew that it was only a matter of time before she'd have to tell him the truth.

"Denki..."

He opened his eyes, lips parted in shock at the use of his first name.

"Katsuki doesn't settle for second place. You... You know that," she choked down the lump in her throat, staring dejectedly at her hands resting in her lap. "When he confessed last month, I told him I already had my eye on someone else..."

Kaminari observed her face carefully, blinking in disbelief when he noticed tears brimming her E/C irises.

"He got all defensive. Asking 'who is it?' mumbling things like 'I'll kill him'... I couldn't... Do that to you."

Denki's heart swelled. She liked him?

"I didn't tell him. And that just made him more angry..."

The blonde knew where this was going.

"I had to accept. I had no choice," she whispered breathily, swiping angrily at the tears cascading in a waterfall down her flushed cheeks.

"You did the right thing. Hey, it's okay," Kaminari assured her, hesitantly reaching forward to cup her upper arms and pull her into his chest.

Y/N willingly fell against him. Her trembling hands fisted around Denki's gray t-shirt. "He would've hurt you... I couldn't let that happen. I was protecting you."

The blonde smiled mindlessly. "You don't have to protect me, Y/N... I'm perfectly capable of taking care of myself."

Y/N looked up at him, wearing a look he couldn't decipher. "Barely."

The blonde wiggled his fingers against Y/N side, causing her to burst out laughing and try to place distance between her and her friend.

After the H/C-haired girl regained her composure, she and Kaminari resumed their studying.

"Are you going to end things with him?" He asked as he jotted down some notes.

"I... I don't know. I love Katsuki, I really do... Even if I do feel stronger feelings toward you, I don't want him to blow up. Literally," she answered.

Denki shrugged. "Doesn't matter. Right now, I just wanna cuddle with you."

And he did.

And she didn't push him away.

A/N: So, okay. I've got a million drafts in here, a billion stories floating around on loose pieces of paper, and infinite ideas, but I'm struggling with school, and half of me wants to take a break. But then again, this is my getaway. Writing for you guys, it keeps me sane. Thank you so much for all your support. If you made a request, I promise I'll get it done in the next few shots here. I love you all!

~MJ💕