Chapter 6

Before, during and after Piney's surgery Eva was getting updates from Tara and only Tara as she refused to be the one to contact Opie. Pride was one of her worst qualities, along with a stubborn streak. The day of his release she went to Piney's early, straightened up and prepared for him to come home.

Opie and Donna accompanied Piney on his way from Saint Thomas to his home in Charming, both were surprised to see Eva but she was only really hurt when she saw Donna.

"Hey," she said casually. "How are you feeling, Pop?"

Piney smiled and kissed her on the cheek. "My hearts beating again thanks to you, sweetheart."

"Flirt," Eva laughed and rolled her eyes.

"Uhh, you probably need these." Opie went to hand Eva the discharge papers but she shook her head.

"I'm good, I spoke to Tara," she told him. "She was kind enough to update me, I was so worried," she added just to make him feel guilty.

"Is she allowed to tell you anything?" Donna asked. "Isn't that against the law?"

"Piney gave me access," Eva told them. "I am his nurse, I need to know this stuff."

"Oh," Donna smiled, "That makes sense."

Eva forced a smile and nodded. "Cool. Okay. I have to work, so I will talk to you later."

"Hey," Opie followed Eva to the kitchen. "Sorry I didn't call, I shoulda told he was fine. That's my fault."

"It's fine," she told him. "I guess you and Donna are working things out?"

"I don't know what we're doing," he sighed heavily. "It's easy to kind of slide back into a groove."

"You were in jail for years," Eva reminded him. "Your only groove is prison."

That annoyed him and he didn't hide it. "Guess it's just nice to have my life back the way it was before that shit."

Eva pursed her lips and nodded. "Well, I wish you both all the luck in the world."

"I don't know what I'm doing," he said suddenly desperate. "I'm so turned around."

Noting where Donna was, and watching her closely, Eva shook her head and spoke quietly. "I know I don't want messy shit, Opie. This was weird enough with keeping secrets, me working for your dad. I don't want...this." She moved her hands between them. "If you want to be with Donna, go ahead, far be it from me split up a family, but make up your own mind and don't come to me about being confused. I can't help you, I'm too involved."

"Alright," he nodded awkwardly. "I don't know who else to talk to."

"Jax," she suggested.

"Then I gotta tell him about us," Opie reminded her.

"Duh," she rolled her eyes and covered her face. "In that case, I don't know what to tell you. I don't want anyone to know, especially with how it all ended."

"Yeah," he huffed. "Uhh, thanks for looking out for my dad."

She smiled and nodded. "I love Piney. It's a pleasure, really. Are you staying for a bit? I wanted to grab a few things at the store for him but I know as soon as I leave-"

"He's gonna be doing some shit he shouldn't be," Opie laughed a little. "Yeah I can stick around, go ahead."

Eva smiled sadly, "Thanks, Ope."

She slipped out and a minute or two after he was sure she was gone, Opie sent Donna home. "Let the sitter go, I'm just gonna stay with him, make sure he's good while she's gone."

"Okay," Donna said as she kissed his cheek. "I know that was weird, I really think we can do this, babe. I don't want to give up yet."

Opie nodded, his eyes looking anywhere but at her. "Yeah, me too."

They kissed and she scurried away, leaving Opie with his father. When the younger Winston turned to look at the elder he knew it was a bad decision.

"What's up, Pop?" Opie asked as he sat diagonal him.

"You're a dumbass," Piney grumbled, giving his son a harsh, but reserved and not truly hard, alp to the face.

"What?" Opie asked, stunned by the move.

"Eva," he said angrily. "I love Donna, she was good for you, but she proved she can't live this life."

Opie looked truly dumbfounded. "How did you know?"

"I've been around a long time and I know my son," he said proudly. "I know Eva too, never seen either of you like that before. I can put the pieces together."

Hanging his head in shame, for a reason Opie couldn't figure out, he huffed and stood up, moving away from Piney.

"What am I supposed to do, Pop? Throw away shit with Donna after a couple days with Eva?"

"You're supposed to throw shit away that ain't good for you," Piney corrected him. "Your mother was a witch, she nagged and she bitched but I loved her. We weren't good for each other, not in that life," he said, gesturing to his cut that hung on the back of the closet. "You don't have to be with Eva but you gotta be prepared for the next time."

"The next time?"

"The next time Donna decides it's too much and leaves," Piney said ominously. "Now get outta here, I don't need a goddamn babysitter."

"I told Eva I'd watch you," Opie huffed.

Piney slowly got up from his chair and grumbled on his way into the kitchen where he sat, sniffing an unlit cigarette and open bottle of whisky.

"Shoulda let the goddamn heart attack take me, what kind of life is this," he chuckled, pouring a glass and handing it to his son. "I love you, boy, I just want you to be happy."

When Opie returned home, boxes slowly trickling in and being unpacked, he felt a sour sickness in his stomach. Piney was right, Eva or not things were only going to get worse with Donna. Being indecisive and, not that he'd admit as much, scared he didn't say anything. He didn't stop it before it got too far, he ignored it.

"I gotta head out," he said to Donna as she hung some pictures back on the wall.

"Where?"

"Clubhouse," he told her.

She nodded quickly but disapproval was all over her face. "Be careful."

"I'm just going for a beer," he chuckled.

"Yeah, okay," she shrugged, not sure if that was a lie to make her feel better about whatever was planned. "I love you, Ope," she said to him earnestly.

"Love you back," he kissed her cheek. "I'll see ya tonight."