Chapter 30

"Mrs. Winston, then what happened?"

Eva took a shaky breath before answering the prosecutor's question. As she spoke she spun her wedding ring around her finger, it helped ground her, keep her calm and it reminded her she came out the other side of this and was happier than before.

"She stabbed me," Eva said coolly. "I don't remember how many times, after the third one I wasn't able to think about anything but my son and the uhh, the pain."

The prosecutor nodded slowly. "And then what do you remember?"

"Uh," Eva hesitated. "Not much. She moved me and turned off the light and left the kitchen I don't know what she did until Opie, uh I mean Harry, came home."

"Harry is your husband?" The prosecutor asked and Eva nodded. "Do you remember anything else?"

"I could hear him moving around upstairs, then the baby crying," she spoke slowly. "Then she came back into the kitchen and uh, she stole my engagement ring before she walked over me and left out the laundry room door."

"Who found you?"

"My husband," her voice cracked.

"Mrs. Winston, do you see the women who attacked you and kidnapped your infant son?"

Eva nodded and glared at Simone. "Yeah, she's right there." Pointing at Simone, Eva felt her stomach churn as the urge to vomit intensified.

"Thank you, Mrs. Winston. I have no further questions, your honor."

The judge looked at the defense. "Would you like to cross?"

Simone's lawyer nodded and stood. "Yes, I would." Walking out from behind the table the lawyer smiled politely at Eva. "Congratulations on your wedding."

"Thank you," she said timidly.

"You got your engagement ring back, is that correct?"

Eva nodded. "It is. It was found in the grass out back, I believe."

"Mrs. Winston, when you were still in the hospital you were asked if you remembered who attacked you in your home. Is that correct?"

She nodded again. "Uh yeah, I was asked a lot of questions but none more than that."

"And what was your answer?"

Pausing, Eva took a deep breath and prepared for what she assumed was coming. "At that point I didn't remember."

"When did you decide to remember?"

The prosecutor stood up quickly. "Objection, your honor, that question is inappropriate and inflammatory."

The judge agreed and looked at the defense attorney. "Counsel, rephrase the question please."

"When did you remember what happened?"

"Once a lot of the medications wore off and I was able to get some rest and see my son." Eva quickly wiped the few tears that escaped as she mentioned little Harry. "I was so terrified and obsessed with bringing both of them home, the baby and Harry I couldn't think of anything else."

He nodded. "And you remember seeing my client's face as you were stabbed."

"Yes," she whimpered.

"Do you remember being stabbed in the back?"

"I...I don't actually remember that happening."

"And do you remember seeing your husband's face when he found you?"

Eva opened her mouth to speak but shut it again and shook her head.

"Ma'am, please answer the question verbally," the judge said quietly.