Chapter 16

Opie didn't do anything for a few days. He was indecisive, terrified, self-conscious and too stubborn to ask for advice. Instead, he just showed up at Eva's on Saturday morning with flowers he'd grabbed from the grocery store.

She opened the door dreary eyed and still in her pajamas. "I didn't have the baby yet," she said coolly and went to shut the door again.

"You're not a bitch. I'm an idiot," Opie grumbled. "I'm really screwed up, Eva and I don't know what I'm doing."

Stepping back she motioned for him to come inside. "You are an idiot," she agreed, swinging the door shut. "Wait, did you bring me flowers?" She asked, waking up enough to notice the small bunch in his hand.

"Yeah," he mumbled, slightly embarrassed.

"That's really sweet," she said, her mood already improving. "Thank you."

"You're welcome," Opie said, handing them to her and taking his usual spot on the sofa.

"Coffee?"

"Sure, sorry it's kind of early."

"You're fine," she said loudly from the kitchen.

"I was thinking, Harry is a good name for the baby. If you don't hate it now I think we should use it."

There was no response until she came back into the living room a few minutes later. "I was thinking I like James, we could call him Jaime or something."

"Jaime is good." Opie was lying, Jaime was awful and he hated it.

"I don't know though, there's still time," she shrugged.

"Look," he sat forward, elbows on his knees, and looked at her intently. "I'm sorry, really sorry."

"I know," she sighed. "I am too."

He was shocked she said it but he didn't make a snarky comment, taking Tara's advice to heart without even realizing it. "Can I say something?"

"Sure," she said, curling her legs up underneath her on the couch.

"You scare the shit outta me."

Eva snorted. "Me?"

"Yeah," he chuckled a little. "I don't know how to deal with you, no idea, but I miss you." He paused, spinning one of his rings anxiously. "I...I hate being alone and you're the only good thing I have."

Eva smiled, covering her mouth a little, but nodded after a few seconds. "I feel the same, I've been alone for bit after I broke up with my ex," she admitted. "Then Piney and the club really welcomed me in but after a while it gets," she shrugged, "I wanted more."

"You said you didn't expect shit from me, like a relationship, but I want that from you," he was laying it all out for her, despite hating the emotional vulnerability. "I don't like not-"

"Staking your claim?"

"Yeah," he shrugged. "Basically."

"And I want honesty," she told him, "And respect. I saw a lot of shit before you came out and as much as I love those guys, they treat women like second class citizens and I won't take that. It's easy for Jax and them to adjust how they talk to me, I'm in and out and I provide a service but it's a lot more effort when you're in a relationship."

"You asking if I can do that?"

Eva nodded. "Can you?"

"I think," he shrugged.

"I can whip you into shape," she smirked. "It'll be fun."

"Great," he said with feigned annoyance.

Eva got up and sat beside him, leaning her body on his, "Goddamn, I missed you."

Laying his hand on her belly he smiled, enjoying the feel of them finally settling into something no matter how awkward the path had been. "I hate the name Jaime," he admitted.

"I was shocked you didn't veto it immediately," Eva laughed.

"I wasn't trying to get in more trouble."

"Good move," she chuckled. "Where did this all come from? This is so far from what I would have expected from you."

Opie shrugged, "Tara a little, I guess. She picked me up after you abandoned me and gave me a speech about you being a badass."

"A badass?" Eva laughed a little and sat up, sitting on his lap to look him in the eye as they talked. "I am not."

"You punch a guy at work?"

"Oh yeah," she laughed louder now. "He came in, he was high or something I think, he was an asshole and getting out of hand so I socked him. Better him than me," she said with an attitude.

Opie kissed her, pulling her closer, and groaned a little as she shimmied on his lap. "Goddamn tease."

"That's me," she pulled back from him. "I actually have to shower and head out soon."

"Where?"

"Prenatal yoga," she said with a laugh. "You wanna come?"

"Nah, I'm good," he said quickly. "I have my kids today if you wanna meet em'," he mentioned again. "Maybe we can grab lunch?"

"That would be nice," she smiled. "Are they meeting their sibling's mother or their father's new girlfriend?"

"Both," he said firmly.

"I like it when you take charge," she teased him.

Opie rolled his eyes and got up from the couch. "You know I've killed people," he said ominously, stalking over toward her. "Don't you?"

"I know," she smirked. "But I'm not scared of you, Opie Winston."

"You should be," he growled, unable to hide his smile as he moved in to kiss her.

Eva groaned a little as his beard scratched at her clavicle. "Forget fuckin' yoga," she grabbed his belt and pulled him toward her bedroom. "Come on, kill me a little."