Chapter 34

"Time of death 12:07."

A silence came over the room once the screaming monitors were flicked off one by one. Eva looked at the man and sighed, frowning for a second, before stepping out of the room and forcing him from her brain.

It was the second death she'd been involved in since returning to work a month ago and it phased her less than she thought was normal. She didn't mention it to her therapist though, she didn't mention the two other deaths she was involved in outside the hospital either.

Changing out of her scrubs, Eva grabbed her stuff and headed down to the daycare to get Harry. She watched him for a few minutes, seeing if he was happy there, and once she was satisfied Eva waved at the receptionist.

"Mrs. Winston," the woman said cheerfully. "How are you?"

"Beat," she said with a smile. "You?"

"Just looking forward to the weekend!"

Eva forced a laugh as one of the workers brought Harry over to her. "Have a good evening."

When she got home she started dinner and threw in a load of laundry. Everything felt normal and she liked it that way.

"Hey," Opie said loudly as he entered the house. "Babe?"

"I'm down here," she hollered up from the basement.

His feet pounded on the steps as he went down to meet her. "Hey."

"Hi," she looked at him questioningly. "What's up?"

"You okay?"

"Yeah," she huffed. "What?"

Opie looked confused. "I talked to Tara. She said someone on your rotation died or something."

"Oh, yeah," Eva said with a shrug. "I'm fine. He's old and sick and it's probably better for him and his family. No more suffering."

"Okay," he said with confusion. "I guess work was good?"

"Yeah," she slapped a smile on her face. "Dinner should be ready soon."

Opie opened his mouth to speak again but the sound of engines stopped him. He huffed, knowing it was obviously for him, and trudged back upstairs.

Standing closely by the heating vent, Eva eavesdropped on the conversation with no guilt at all. It was Jax and Chibs that came by to have an interesting conversation with Opie.

"Unser came by," Jax started. "He was asking about that dick Donny."

"Shit," Opie hissed, instantly terrified, "Fuck. Is it bad?"

Eva shook her head in the basement, knowing it wasn't as bad as he thought, and continued to listen.

"No," Jax smiled broadly. "They found him dead, brother. Half mush at his place out by Juice's. Been dead a few weeks."

"Dead?" Opie asked in disbelief. "What killed him?"

"They don't know," Chibs laughed. "Hasn't been seen in a while. Someone just called for the welfare check."

"Shit," he laughed. "Good. Fuck him. Pushes Eva even further away if they ever even find Ellen's body."

"Exactly," Jax said. "Wanted to share the good news myself."

That was when Eva decided to make her entrance. With a wide smile, she waved at Jax and Chibs. "Hey, guys. Staying for dinner?"

"Shite," Chibs looked excited by the offer, "I'm always hungry."

"Sit," she said eagerly. "Jax?"

"Can't darlin'," he smiled sweetly at her, "Thanks."

"Chibs, sit," Eva said forcefully. "Want a beer?"