Chapter 7

*Sunday shortie!*

The loud pounding at Piney's front door startled Eva awake with a dramatic gasp. "Fuck," she said, her voice shaky. Grabbing the bat from it's spot against the wall in the corner of the room she crept out to the living room. Peeking, she saw Opie with an impatient look on his face.

"Opie," she sighed as she opened the door. "What are you doing here?"

"Wanted to see my old man," he said with a laugh as if she were the crazy one.

Eva frowned, "It's three in the morning."

"Oh," he huffed. "He's sleeping?"

"Yeah, he is, I was too." She opened the screen door and stepped onto the front steps. "You're drunk."

"Nah, I'm good," he tried to convince her. "Just lost track of time." Looking down at the bat in her hand he chuckled. "You need more than that. Bat won't stop a bullet."

"Wonderful thought," Eva huffed. The frown on her face deepened as she looked into his sad, bloodshot eyes. "Let me give you a ride home."

"I can drive," he said quickly, fumbling with his keys. "I'm good."

Shaking her head, Eva grabbed his hand and led him into the house. "Coffee?"

"Dad got any beer?"

"No," she said with annoyance. "He can't drink so I didn't pick any up. Besides, I think you've had enough, Winston."

"Coffees fine," he shrugged.

Eva put on a pot of coffee, silent as she moved about the kitchen, and listened as Opie huffed and sighed while waiting.

"Taking too long?"

"No."

"Tired?" Part of her hoped he just passed out so she could go right back to sleep and not have to watch or entertain him but she did miss him, drunk or not, it was nice to see him face.

"Nope," he told her. "Sorry I woke you up."

Eva laughed, "Bit of a delayed response. Where were you?"

"Clubhouse," he said, already feeling more tired than when he arrived. "Had to get outta that house."

"This probably isn't an appropriate topic," she said, pouring him a cup.

"Probably not."

Placing his mug down on the table she looked at him and gave his beard a playful tug. "Drink."

"Hey," he grabbed her wrist and pulled her down on his lap.

"Ope," she chided. "You're back with your wife."

"Shit's wrong," he told her.

"I've missed you," she admitted. "But I don't wanna play the rebound or be your mistake. You'll sober up and you'll -"

He kissed her hard, too hard because he'd been drinking, but she didn't pull away even with the pain of her teeth against her lip.

Eva broke the kiss and looked at him, aching for him emotionally and physically. "I don't want you to regret me."

"I won't," he said, dragging his lips down her neck.

She hiked up her nightshirt while Opie unbuckled his belt and they had sex right at Piney's kitchen table. It was quick, simple, but Eva missed Opie and Opie missed Eva. One brief reconnection was enough for them in that moment.

"Jesus," she whimpered, burying her face in his neck. "Was that a mistake?"

"No," he said breathlessly. "I need to sleep."

Eva climbed off his lap and Opie dragged himself to the couch. With his pants still undone he threw himself down and passed out leaving Eva feeling used and heartbroken.

"Night Ope," she said sadly on her way back to bed. After stopping in the bathroom she got back into bed and closed herself. "That was a fucking mistake."

Cheater cheater! 😮 Vote and comment please! Also, if you're in Twitter, I'm trying to resurrect my fic twitter account so follow me, TheMadWriter13