Chapter 18

Opie sat in the driver seat of the tow truck staring at his phone as texts came in from Eva, who was shopping with Tara, while Half-Sack did the work for their current tow job. He had no kutte, no gun, and he kind of liked just sitting there, spacing out, and generally enjoying the day with very little stress. It was a very new feeling for him and although it was odd, he liked it.

"Ope," Sack hollered as he banged on the truck. "Guy is asking for ya."

Letting out a groan, Opie pulled himself out of the truck and around the back. He saw the man who had called them, a face he knew, and stared at him. "Yeah?"

"You're Opie Winston, right?" The man said with a cheesy grin.

"Why?" Opie asked, not nearly as amused or pleasant as the man.

"We have a mutual friend," the man said offering Opie his hand.

"She's not my friend," Opie said, looking at his hand but not moving to shake it.

"I'm John," he said, still waiting for the handshake.

"I know who you are," Opie crossed his arms over his chest.

Johnny pulled his arm back and stuck his hand in his pocket. "Don't have to be a dick."

"I'm not," Opie shrugged, and moved to get back in the truck. "Stop sending cards to Eva," he said as he swung the door open.

Johnny seemed annoyed that Opie knew about the card. "She told you?"

"She tells me everything," it was a bit of a stretch but Opie said it anyway. They didn't have secrets but they also didn't go over every piece of mail they received especially before they were in a real, exclusive relationship.

"I'll have to remember that," Johnny said with a huff.

"You'll have to call another tow too," Opie grumbled. "Come on, Sack."

"I just got it hooked up," Half-Sack complained but the look on Opie's face shut him right up.

"Are you fucking serious?"

"Yep," Opie said casually.

"You're a real piece of shit," Johnny snapped.

Opie looked at him in the rearview mirror and got out again. "She dumped you before we even met so that's this shit? Trying to prove how big your dick is? I don't give a shit."

"We broke up before you even got out of prison," Johnny said. "And she's only with you now cause she got knocked up. Eva wants security, doesn't make sense she's looking for it with a fucking convict."

Hitting his threshold and then some, Opie grabbed the crowbar from the toolbox on the truck and charged toward Johnny.

"Yo," Half-Sack got between Opie and Johnny. "Parole. Eva. The baby." He said as a reminder. "Chill Ope."

Looking at Johnny, Opie snarled, but backed up and tossed the crowbar back where he got it.

"I see you again and I'm gonna kick your ass," Opie warned Johnny. "Don't go near Eva."

"Or the baby?" Johnny spat, just to get under Opie's skin. Opie took one step but Johnny brought his phone to his ear and threatened, "I'll call the cops."

"Come on," Sack said hurriedly. "Let's get the fuck outta here."

Nodding, Opie let Sack go ahead of him. He grabbed the crowbar again and with one solid blow he broke the windshield on Johnny's car before taking his knife to the driver's side tire.

"You're gonna need more than a new battery," he spat. "Don't come around Eva," Opie warned before jumping back in the truck and taking off.

The rest of the day Opie wrestled with telling Eva about what happened. Jax had advised him not to, everyone did actually, but he still wanted to. After leaving the lot he went to her place to find she was not alone.

She welcomed him into the house warmly with a big hug and fleeting kiss before introducing him to her guest.

"Ope, this is Simone, remember we saw her at lunch with the kids?"

"I do," he said, faking a smile. "Hey."  Opie looked at Eva. "Sorry didn't know you were busy."

"It's okay," Eva said quickly. "Kind of just an impromptu thing after class."

"I was just leaving anyway," Simone told him. "Two hours of baby talk is enough for now!"

"Two hours?" Opie seemed taken aback. "That's enough baby talk till there's an actual baby," he tried to joke.

"Oh there's actual babies," Simone said, touching her belly then Eva's.

"He's kidding," Eva laughed. "He's just not good at it."

Simone chuckled and gave Eva a hug before slipping out the front door. Opie watched through the window as she left in her car before he turned to Eva.

"How are you?"

"Tired but that's baseline," she shrugged. "You?"

"Tired too," he huffed. "Long day."

"Mm yeah," she yawned.

"Little dude good?" Opie asked, pressing his hand to her belly hoping to feel some movement.

She nodded, placing her hand over his, and smiled. "He's great. He had some hiccups earlier but I think he's chilling out now."

"How well you know her?" Opie remarked as they sat on the couch together.

"I dunno," she shrugged. "Why?"

"Just, with the club, sometimes keeping the circle small is better," he said casually.

"Okay well I need more than Tara," she said. "Simone is harmless. Besides she doesn't know anything about the club or whatever."

Opie looked at her. "Eva."

"What?"

"You know I'm right."

"You're cute when you're mad," she said jokingly.

He huffed as she climbed on top only him. "I'm not mad, I'm concerned."

"You're always cute because you're always concerned or mad or whatever," she pulled his beanie down further onto his head. "Soon my belly is gonna be too big to sit on you like this."

"I know," he said, stroking her cheek gently. "I just want you and the baby to be safe. I've seen people get hurt and I don't want that to happen."

Eva smiled sadly and nodded. "I know, Ope, it's just hard for me, I'm so used to just doing shit."

"That's why I fucking fell for you," he complained.

"Oh I'm hungry," she said suddenly climbing off his lap. "Sorry I know we were being sweet but I want Chinese."

Opie sighed and nodded. "Call it in. I'll go get it."

"Thank you," she said excitedly. "You're the best!"

He smiled and kissed her cheek. "I'm taking your car."

"Can you fill it up?" She asked with an innocent grin. "Please?"

"Christ," he laughed. "Okay."

They kissed again before he left and Eva sat back down on the couch with a dreamy smile. "I love you, Opie," she whispered. "So goddamn much."

Vote & comment please!! Xo