Chapter 29

"The suspect, who befriended her victim during the months leading up to the attack, was seen by psychologists both for the defensive and prosecution. Both doctors declared the suspect fit to stand trial for the attempted murder of Eva Baxter and kidnapping of her son Harrison."

Opie seethed hearing the update was upsetting but especially when it was so unexpected. "Turn that shit off," he snapped at the prospect. Even with the three weeks that had passed since the arrest, Opie was still stewing.

Half-Sack fumbled with the remote but eventually managed to change the channel. It was tense since they'd arrested Simone, Opie hated the waiting, he hated the possibility of her actually walking free.

"Eva gonna testify?" Jax asked Opie quietly.

Opie shrugged. "She's not sure yet. She wants to but her memory isn't great and she won't last if the defense tries to pick her apart."

"Yeah," he huffed. "Reliving that's gonna be tough."

"She relives it every damn day," he confided in Jax. "Checking on the baby almost every goddamn hour."

"Don't blame her," Jax told Opie. "Shit I'd do the same thing."

"When it's just me and him, I do too," Opie admitted. "I want that bitch gone. She's sane, so we shoulda killed her."

"Ope," Jax sighed.

"I know," he groaned. "At the time I felt bad for her but now, seeing how she's trying to play victim and shit, I could kill her with my bare hands."

"Eva know she pretended to be her?" Jax asked subtly hinting at the fact Simone had tricked Opie into having sex with her.

Opie nodded. "Yeah."

"How'd she react?" Jax asked.

"She was pissed," Opie sighed. "Not at me, I don't think, but in general. Maybe she was pissed that I didn't know it wasn't her. She won't talk about that part," he said sadly.

"Tara said she's got the name of a therapist," Jax told him. "If she's asking, I mean. Tara didn't wanna push her too much."

Opie sighed and nodded. "She needs to talk to someone."

With a nod, Jax pulled the card from his pocket and gave it to Opie. "I think you guys got through the worst of this shit. These are just the loose ends."

"Ah shit," Opie grumbled. "I'm supposed to meet Gemma."

"Wedding shit?" Jax asked with a chuckle.

"Yeah," Opie smiled. "Give me fucking flowers and wedding vow problems over everything else."

"Get outta here before my mom kicks your ass," Jax laughed.

Opie was already headed toward the door. "I can hear her bitching me out already."

Jax laughed and Opie hurried out of the clubhouse to meet Gemma at her house. Her greenhouse was mostly full of marijuana plants but she had a beautiful corner for bright lilies and other gorgeous, non-narcotic, blooms.

"Hey baby," she said. Gemma kissed his cheek. "This is what I have, it's not as much as a florist but," she stopped when he interrupted her.

"It's perfect," Opie smiled. "Thanks, Gem."

"I never wanted daughters but Eva is what I imagine as the one I wouldn't drown," she winked at him.

Looking at her with suspicion, Opie shook his head. "I don't know if you're kidding."

"I'm not" she said bluntly.

Opie blinked and shook his head again. "Anyway, I uhh, I think she'd like the pink."