Chapter 21

With the hospital on temporary lockdown the only patients unaware of the commotion were unconscious. Eva was woke up by the alarm but the lack of information was what truly disturbed her. She pressed the call button over and over but got response and Opie was not answering his phone. Sliding out of bed, Eva gripped her IV pole and slowly inched toward the door. Her legs still felt slightly numb but the adrenaline more than helped her her moving.

"Ma'am," a guard stopped her at the end of the hall. "You'll have to go back to your room."

"No," she snapped. "I need to know where my son is. Is he okay?"

"Eva," Jax called out. "Hey," he jogged toward her. "Harry's okay, Ope too. Lemme walk you back."

"No," she said firmly but didn't decline his help walking. "I want to see him."

"You will," Jax assured her. "He's with a doctor now."

She stopped. "What happened?"

"There was a thing," Jax huffed. "Someone killed himself there, by the nursery. They're checking over all the babies, just to be safe, it's okay. I saw him. He's okay."

"I want to see him," she said firmly.

"Eva, come on," Jax urged her forward. "Opie's with him. He's not gonna let anything happen, you know that."

Reluctantly she nodded and managed to keep from crying until she got back into bed. "Those poor babies."

"They're all fine. They slept through it," Jax shrugged. "No one got hurt."

"Aside from the man who killed himself," Eva sniffled.

"Yeah, well, guess he was kind of asking for it, huh?"

She ignored his joke. "I want to go home. Maybe Tara can help get me discharged earlier. I can't be here.  Not anymore."

"I'll talk to her," he promised.

"I want to talk to Ope," Eva said with shaking hands. "Who was it? How did he get near the nursery?"

"I don't know how he got in," Jax told her.

"Miss. Baxter?" Unser poked his head in the door after a brief sharp knock. "This is a bad time?"

"I mean, yeah," she huffed. "But uhh that's why you're here I'm guessing."

Under stepped in the room and nodded. "Ope has your boy, he's fine, they're just cleaning him up."

"Cleaning him up?" She asked.

"Uhh, yeah, there was some blood," he said quickly. "You know this guy?" He asked, handing her a print out of Johnny's DMV photo.

"Yes. He's my ex." Her eyes narrowed. "Why?"

"He uhh just stabbed himself in the throat in the nursery."

Eva drew her head back, the information hitting her bit by bit with more and more force. "That was Johnny? Wait he was IN the nursery?"

Unser looked at Jax who wore an annoyed expression. "A warning woulda been nice," Unser grumbled to Jax.

"What the fuck happened?" Eva hollered, enraged they'd kept anything about her son from her and that they were discussing her as if she wasn't right there.

"Johnny killed himself in the nursery, Eva," Jax said finally. "He was holding Harry."

"He was," her voice cracked and she began to sob. "I need to see him. Now."

Unser nodded. "I'll get Opie to bring him in, he's talking to Hale."

"This is bullshit," she growled at Jax. "You should have told me."