Chapter 10

Jax met at with Opie at his house, Kenny and Ellie were in the yard while Donna did some list of errands that Opie already couldn't remember.  He didn't being stuck home but he was using the time to clear the garage of clutter and crap Donna hadn't touched when she moved out the first time.

"What's up?" Opie asked, beer bottle in one hand and cigarette in the other. He knew it wasn't just some passing bit of information, Jax wouldn't have come over just for something so insignificant.

"When did you talk to Eva last?"

"Uh," he sighed heavily, thinking back. "After my old man got home from the hospital."

"She told Tara she's looking for a new job," Jax wasted no time explaining.

Opie's face turned down. "I didn't know. She say why?"

"We didn't get that far," he shrugged. "You know why she might wanna leave? She say anything to you?"

"Nah," he shook his head. "It's been a while since we talked."

Jax nodded, he knew that much already. "It's not like she signed a contract with us, maybe she wants a better deal? Insurance and shit," he suggested.

"Maybe," Opie kept his eyes on the lit end of his cigarette. "Like I said, it's been a while."

"Yeah, you should probably talk to her, brother," Jax suggested. "Unless you don't care if she quits. I don't know how much Piney needs her but I know Gemma loves to have a little errand girl."

"If she wants out, she wants out," he said nonchalantly.

Jax's brows furrowed, growing suspicious now. Opie knew something was up it else he wouldn't be so dismissive. "I thought she was a good fit with Piney? Everyone liked her and shit."

"Donna doesn't," Opie admitted.

"She's not usually the jealous type," Jax mused.

"I didn't say jealous," Opie was growing more annoyed now. Big red flag for Jax. 

Jax nodded slowly, "Just wanted to give you a heads up in case she quits on ya."

"Thanks," Opie was much more aggravated than gracious.

"You gonna talk to her?" Jax asked, pushing the subject again.

"Jesus Christ," Opie grumbled. "What the fuck is this about?"

Jax huffed, and glared at Opie. "You're fucking stupid. I know you were sleeping with her."

That statement more than annoyed Opie, he was furious. "How?"

"Tara," Jax said simply. "What happened?"

Opie stubbed out his cigarette and left the butt in the ashtray. "We hooked up, then Donna came back around," he trailed off.

"And you didn't tell her flat out, dragged her along, then ended up hurting her?" Jax asked, knowing how it always went. He'd done it with Wendy more than once, he knew it all too well.

"Yeah," he said, feeling some level of shame as he admitted it. "I fucking regret it," he sighed.

"Sleeping with her, hurting her or getting back with Donna? Jax asked.

"The last two," he finished his beer.

Jax was shocked to hear him admit to regretting anything that had to do with Donna. They weren't always the best couple but they very clearly loved each other. "I'm sorry, brother."

"Yeah me too," Opie sighed. "Eva's great, I was really fucking into her, but Donna came back and I didn't wanna throw that shit away. I thought it would be better now that I'm out but, it ain't. It's worse," he closed his eyes and hung his head. "I just wanted something stable, normal, something comfortable."