Chapter 13

Over the next few weeks things felt good for Eva and Opie. They were spending more time together and doing more than just watching TV and ordering take out. This particular evening though they were stretched out on the couch after a long day for both of them.

"Have you thought about names at all?" Eva asked him, her eyes still on the screen.

"Nah," he mumbled. "You?"

"Obsessively," she laughed. "Would you want to name him after you? I love the name Harry and it would be nice, if we have a boy, you know?"

"After me? Eh, I don't know, I'm not really the best role model," he laughed.

Eva turned a little and looked at him. "Shut up. Do you like it?"

"Maybe," he shrugged. "What if it's a girl?"

"That's harder," she rolled her eyes. "Truth be told, I want a boy. I gotta pee," she giggled. "I'll be right back."

Eva disappeared and returned quickly. "I thought I'd have more time before the constant peeing thing." Stopping at the door she grabbed the mail and flipped through it all on her way back to the couch. "Boring."

"When is mail not boring?" He stood, about to head out for a cigarette, when he noticed her face change and her lips turn into a pout. "What?"

"My ex," she rolled her eyes. "Apparently it's our anniversary." Eva handed him the card she received, declarations of love and devotion scribbled inside.

"He do this shit a lot?"

"Not really," she shrugged.

"You tell anyone?"

She shook her head. "Jax gave him a little scare right after we broke up, he kept coming around when I was working, he was gone for a while after that."

"I'll take care of it," Opie said authoritatively.

"Ope," she whined. "It's a card. It's okay."

"You hear from him again, you tell me," he said to her.

"Scouts honor," she winked. "Speaking of ex's," she sighed. "Did you talk to Donna yet?"

"Yeah," he lied. "She's uhh, I don't know."

Eva nodded. "Thank you for telling her."

"'Course," he nodded. "I'll be right back," he said, pointing to the door. Opie stepped outside and lit his cigarette, his stress level spiking with all the talk of ex boyfriends and Donna. He pulled out his phone and text Donna.

"We gotta talk, you free tomorrow morning?"

"I am."

"I'll come early, we can talk then I'll take the kids to school."

"Okay."

--

When he left Eva's the next morning she could sense something was off but she figured it was just the card, not the impending conversation she thought he had already had with Donna. Reluctantly he arrived early, leaving too much time for the conversation to turn sour, and knocked on the door. Kenny answered, very little enthusiasm for his father, and let him in before running off again.

"Coffee?" Donna offered but Opie declined. "Okay then, what is it?"

"I'm gonna have Lowen file," he told her. "Officially."

Donna was visibly taken aback. "Oh."

"What? You think this is fixable?"

"Well," she sighed, "We haven't really talked about it."

"There's nothing to say," he shrugged.

"I..." she was speechless. "So this is really happening."

"Sorry," he said awkwardly. "It's not gonna get better."

"Alright," she said abruptly. "What about the kids?"

"The arrangement we have now works," he shrugged. "Whatever money you need let me know, I'll do what I can."

"Are you going to be okay?"

"Me?" He seemed surprised by her concern. "Yeah I'll be good."

Donna took a shaky breath in and nodded. "They should be leaving soon or they'll be late."

"Okay," he dragged his feet to the front door. He knew he should tell Donna right then and there about Eva and the baby. He knew she deserved to know but he couldn't bring himself to say it to her. Mainly, he didn't want the drama but he also the last thing he wanted was to hurt her anymore. "I'm seeing Eva again," he said, facing the door. "Just so you know, we're uhh, spending some time together."

Donna scoffed and clicked her tongue but kept her diatribe of nasty comments to herself as Kenny and Ellie bounced down the steps.

"Have fun with that," she said coolly.

"Donna," he turned again as the kids went out to his truck. The words were on the tip of his tongue, right there, but he struggled to get them out. "I'm sorry."

"Yeah me too," she said before shutting the door in his face.