The other world.

"Beautiful morning, my last morning, in the kingdom that is called mine but never will be"

"A different world, a world that hates me, a world that doesn't want me back"

"A new place, a school, the place that will help me to clear the sins of my ancestors"

"A prince, the pure prince, the only prince, that would be able to stop my black magic"

Glowing blue eyes were looking over the lands that the shadow people already called hers but it never felt right. The Shadow Princess had her room in the highest tower of the castle, her balcony looked over the whole kingdom. This land may never be meant for them but this kingdom was made from their blood, sweat, and tears, and as this was the last time she was going to see it in a while she took everything in and saved it as a picture in her heart.

"Are you ready to leave, princess?" A male voice asked from behind. She knew who it was, The Mage. "I'm not sure. It's hard to imagine that I won't be seeing this in the morning anymore." Her eyes stayed focused on her kingdom. "I understand that you're nervous, princess but once you're over there you will be able to see much more than this." The Mage came to stand next to the princess, his eyes looking hopeful at her. She felt as if he was glaring at her. "The question is; do I want to see more than this?" The Mage looked away as well, taking in the same view as she did. "In the end, it is always your choice to leave. Once outside the city walls, there is no turning back." A sigh left the princess's mouth as she looked over at The Forest of Death. " I do not have a choice, Mage. If I don't go with you both of our worlds might be in danger." The Mage took a close look at the forest the princess was staring at, it reminded him of that painting in the throne room. "I still don't know what that painting was or what you mean by that but I hope you know what needs to be done." He looked back at the young princess this time making eye contact. "I also want you to know that once we leave these walls you can always count on me." The princess looked away again, focusing on the city. "Don't worry everything will explain itself soon." And with that simple answer, she left the balcony leaving The Mage standing with more questions.

The morning went by quickly. After breakfast, the princess took her goodbyes with her dad and her adoptive brothers and went to the carriage that was waiting for her and The Mage. The carriage had two shadow horses strapped to it. They would only go to the portal after that the mage was going to provide normal horses. The Royal Mage seemed to be very impressed and yet scared of the new horses. The princess watched as The Mage walked carefully around them inspecting their smoke-like manes and tails. The sharp teeth and height of the horses seemed to worry The Mage the most. "They are meat-eaters but don't worry they are very aware that they wouldn't survive without people so they won't hurt you unless you ask for it." The princess explained to The Mage as she opened the carriage. "Shall we?" She asked before going inside. The Mage joined after her looking amazed. "I must say princess, that your world amazes me. Horses that eat meat, who would have thought?" The princess just chuckled and looked outside as the carriage started to move.

People looked worried seeing their princess leave but Nari made sure to wish them farewell with a hopeful smile. When they left the kingdom the road to the portal wasn't long; they just had to get past the hunting grounds and The Land of Demons greeted them. The stone demon resting on top of the portal gave Nari a bad feeling. She expected him to open his eyes and send her back but nothing happened so they got to where they needed to and let the shadow horses go home, it was time to pass the portal. On the other side, two horses were already waiting, one of them seemed to belong to The Mage. As they made their way through The Dark Forest Nari looked around pleased. She knew this used to be her kingdom, she could feel it, but once the forest ended and the shadow of the trees couldn't protect the princess anymore she felt for the first time the warmth of the real sun. The light hit her face making her flinch back into the darkness of the carriage. "Does it hurt?" The Mage asked worriedly. "No, it's just irritating. It's the first time I'm in contact with the real sun but don't worry I will get used to it. My powers might need some more time than my eyes and skin." The Mage nodded letting the princess pull up her hood again and her mask. She moved back to the window, she could feel her eyes turn black as they tried to protect themselves from the light. She just hoped that the ride would be long enough for her to get back to normal. The Mage seemed to notice her discomfort. "You can just wait inside until I introduce you if you like." The princess just nodded back but felt grateful that she didn't need to stand in the sun for that long.

Time passes faster in this world. The beautiful sunrise turned into a glowing ball hanging in the middle of the sky making things even more uncomfortable for the princess as her eyes turned only darker. "Look, there is the school!" The mage pointed at the collection of buildings on a hill that was blocking a big river, only small waterfalls were coming from under the school, sending the water further into the lands. "So we are close?" The princess asked. She was amazed by how beautiful it looked but worried she didn't have enough time. "Yes, just a couple more minutes and we will be there. I can see from here that the grounds are already full." A smile started to appear on The Mage's face but Nari started to feel terrified to have to stand in front of all these people she knew would hate her. She thought back to the last time she was this scared, she was nine and always said that she could handle any horse so her dad put her on his and told her to go. That was the last time and she learned from it, she was curious as to what she was going to learn this time. The carriage started to go up the hill and The Mage was getting himself ready to step out. The princess just hoped she could get herself together once she would step out.

Once the carriage stopped Nari felt a sinking feeling in her chest and moved back into the carriage as she didn't want to be seen yet. The Mage had already left and was starting his speech. Nari had a hard time focusing on his words so she just waited till she heard him mention something about her.
"Please everyone welcome from the darkest depths of a world we only know from our books! The Princess of Darkness, Nari!" With a heavy sigh, she opened the door and stepped out. Her skin felt like it was burning in the sun but she knew she had to show herself. She blinked her eyes repeatedly, it worked as she felt the darkness leave them. She slowly pulled her hood and mask off as well revealing her face, she felt even more uncomfortable but she had to get used to it sooner rather than later. "I know that this may come out of nowhere and seem scary but I assure all of you that once you give her a chance she isn't as bad as you think!" These words felt empty to the princess as she knew they all would avoid her and she didn't blame them. "But now let's open the gates and let the new school year begin!" The big door opened and people started to get inside. Nari was getting a lot of weird glances but she ignored them as the sun was her biggest problem right now. "Let me show you where you will stay." The Mage startled her a bit as she didn't notice him coming back. "Yes, please, I really want to get out of this light." He smiled politely at her and led her inside.

Nari's eyes were black again by the time they got inside but she couldn't be bothered anymore, she just wanted to hide. The changes this world threw at her were harder than she expected. The Royal Mage led them into a different building, one that was connected to the school. It was dark and cold inside which gave Nari a home feeling, she could finally relax. "Here is your key and there is your room. At dinner there will be more information about this year, so be there. The layout of the school will be in your room" The Mage explained as they stood in front of a heavy wooden door. They shared a polite smile as Nari took the key and went inside. Inside was dark but just like at home she had a balcony to look out from, she smiled thinking that The Mage did think about her. The room wasn't big, it had a single bed, a dresser, a desk, and a big closet. Everything a student needs, she guessed. Her stuff was already here and she should get it all out but after being in the light for so long she felt too weak. Her body slowly rested on the bed and her eyes got heavy before her vision got dark, she just hoped she would wake up before dinner.