The moon festival*

The forest flew past me as I kept my head low kicking the golden horse that was given to me. The bright sun was slowing going down and I knew I had to make it back to the portal before it would leave the sky as in the night I wouldn't be able to keep the speed and not get lost. I couldn't fail Nari. I knew how much this meant for her. She missed our people the most out of us and the hope she had for them to finally see the moon with their own eyes was something I couldn't allow to be broken. She meant too much to me to disappoint her in such an important moment. Her voice still lingered in my head as the glowing blue eyes kept me company. It bothered me that now the thought of her was also accompanied by the pure prince being next to her. She didn't know, no one knew, and no one could know. It was clear that the pure prince saw her in the same light as I and when it would come to it I was sure he would be the one she would choose. I shook the thought out of my head as I had to focus on the road ahead of me. The sun was setting and I just passed the school, there was still quite a way ahead of me. I was impressed with how much this horse was capable of. He wasn't as fast as our horses but he was for sure more than I expected. The thick forest where the portal was hidden now greeted me and the sun slowly left me. I leaned more forward kicked the horse again. It let out a small cry but speeded up even more. My teeth were glued to each other as I forced my eyes to see every inch of the forest. The darkness started to slowly take over the forest making me anxious as I started to realize I wasn't sure where I was. Finally, I pulled making the horse come to a hold and started to look around. The sun was nearly gone and I was in the middle of the thick forest not knowing where to go. A burning feeling went through my body as I got annoyed. I had to get back. I had to see Nari happy. I let the air fill my long knowing that if I started to panic now I would never achieve what I wanted. I let my powers focus. The gate had to have some sort of connection with us, I should be able to feel it if I just focus well enough. My eyes slowly closed as I felt the power of the moon on my back. After a bit of silence, I felt it, the portal. My heels kicked the horse again in the direction I felt the power come from and soon enough I was greeted by the light of the portal. A sigh of relief left my lips as I got off the horse. "You did great. Thank you." I said softly as I pet his head. He made a small noise and leaned into my touch. "You can find your way back. I wouldn't need you when I go back. Go, it can be dangerous here." The horse looked back at me one more time. I gave him a reassuring smile and with that, he galloped off, back into the forest. I took a look at the portal before going through it. On the other side, the dark sun greeted me, I nod at it like I was seeing an old friend. It for sure felt good to not feel like my skin can burn off any moment while being in the sun. But I didn't have time to enjoy it with a loud swung I let my dark red and leathery wings swing open and take me into the air going straight to the castle. When landing in front of the castle opening the guards were confused seeing me but as always didn't say anything. I nod at them before running in. "My king!' I started to scream through the dark throne room. "Jackson, my boy, what are you doing here?" He sounded both confused and happy as he came over to me and pulled me into a hug with one arm. I returned it and smiled finally being able to let the feeling of being home rush through me, it was a pleasant feeling. I quickly snapped out of it as I pulled away from the king. He looked worried but I smiled. "My king, I have great news. The whole kingdom has been invited to the moon festival. The sun king is holding it for us and your daughter waits for all of us there to finally be able to greet the moon together." The king looked at me like he was about to cry. Without any warning, he pulled me back into a hug. "I'm so proud of her." He whispered. I hugged him back and answered. "We all are." He pulled away quickly rubbing his eyes and smiled at me. "We don't have much time and we have a lot to do." He said to me before running off into the castle. "Guards! Start packing! Get the horses ready! We are leaving!" He yelled through the halls and I couldn't help but laugh as I ran after him.