Chapter 14: Lonely

Cain

I sat in front of my home, watching the neighbors plant flowers in their garden.

A family

I'm getting to an age where I don't even know if I'm going to have kids. It would be nice to have a little Cain running around.

Then, my siblings aren't thinking about kids neither. Will this be the end of the Norwood generation? Having that thought of Duke allegedly having a baby, made me have baby fever. But that feeling went away when I knew the girl wasn't pregnant.

I had to come back home. I got sick sitting around Messiah's house for days and weeks. No man wants to mooch off another man, even if it is his brother. I'm sure Queen feels the same way. She's too busy laying up with potential bodies. I promise I'm gone kill Brooks myself. Messiah can let that shit ride, but he's not going to fuck my sister and kill our boys. Nah, that's not gone ride. We've worked too hard to let our shit fall apart over Brooks.

But Queen likes that nigga. I think she love that nigga! I still don't like him nor his ways. We still just had a shoot-out about a year ago, and she's going to lay up with him like he didn't try to kill me. I'm the closest brother she has! How could she want to betray me like that?

I got out the car and walked up my drive-way. The neighbors waved as they continued to plant.

"Hello, Amy; Brad!" I waved high as I passed by them along the fence.

"Long time no see," Brad said as he walked to the edge of his fence. I stopped in my tracks and smiled.

"Business trip was longer than expected. I'm just glad to be home," I smiled. He nodded and gave me the thumbs up. He was such a corny guy, but I like Brad. He's not so bad. We actually watch Sunday night football together. We even had a Super Bowl party when the Ravens went to the super bowl back in 2012. That's how long I've lived in this ritzy neighborhood.

Doctors and Lawyers stayed over here. Dentists, Pharmacists, CEOs of Fortune 500 companies. Then, there was my black ass. I could never have a job like that. I'm too street to work in a office. That's why I'm Messiah's muscle, and everything else he wants me to be.

Brad and Amy, on the other hand, own a couple of McDonalds chains. So, their money is quite large. All their kids are grown, but they never come around. The people that live on the left of me, are a couple from Birmingham. I think the old guy is a Judge and his wife is like some sort of house wife, maybe. I don't know, I don't talk to them much. They seem sort of racist.

Last winter, I was jogging the neighborhood for a morning jog and the old guy told me that I needed to take my hoodie off because I made him nervous. I told him it's freezing in this Baltimore weather, and he threatened to call the cops. I've never dealt with racism until then. Since that day, I always avoided them. I'm glad their house is yards away from mine. I would hate to have to send some hitters their way.

"Well, it was nice speaking to you, Brad. Maybe we can place a few bets at the Parlor on the Ravens," I joked.

"Oh no! I will never bet on those guys again. My wife nearly killed me when I lost our money," he laughed.

"See ya', Brad," I waved him off before he could talk anymore. I walked into my home and was instantly met with silence. And the loneliness begins. I took my shoes off at the door and proceeded to the kitchen.

Everything was just how I remembered it; clean. My maid, Mary, kept my home spotless. She's been working with me ever since I could remember. She cooks, cleans, and even council me sometimes. The lady has great advice! We grew old together, although she's like in her 50s. She's a cool lady.