A Light Brings Darkness

After an exciting few days at Professor Sycamore's Summer Camp, the group got right back on track. They made a few short stops to help people and Pokémon along the way but nothing more than that.

Taking advantage of going into Shalour City again, they took a shortcut through Reflection cave this time. After nearly getting stuck inside an opposite world due to the magic of the cave's natural crystal mirrors, they made to the other side. Waiting there under a tree was a purple egg for them to find.

With no parents in sight, Ash and Serena decided to take care of the egg themselves. The egg happened to hatch quickly into a small purple bat Pokémon, Noibat. The dragon type interested Ash immediately and officially became the newest member of an already flying type filled team.

Not letting the excitement of a baby Pokémon slow them down, they continued to walk down the route as normal...

Once again they arrived in Shalour City and Ash wasn't looking to lose again.
The group couldn't find Korrina who is actually the Shalour City gym leader when she isn't running all over. Ash was ready to battle Gurkinn again but when he entered the gym a second time his opponent made an entrance fit for a skate park. He knew Gurkinn more than likely doesn't have that kind of athletic ability anymore.

Korrina, the roller skating gym leader, explained why she was out and about. Turns out she went all the way to Geosenge Town in the mountains to find a special stone to unlock a secret power that the only the bond with her Lucario can unlock. A mega stone.

Gurkinn explained that a key stone can help a trainer mega evolve their Pokémon into a temporary evolutionary stage. A Pokémon with a corresponding mega stone is all that's needed other than a strong bond with their trainer who possesses a keystone.

The anticipation of Ash getting to battle his first mega evolved Pokémon had him psyched up past the moon. Except this led to a disappointing battle and unsatisfying win. It takes time to perfect mega evolution and Korrina didn't take that time before battling Ash.

After goodbyes and a promise for a rematch, Ash and co walk towards Coumarine City with a shiny new rumble badge. The coastal walk was beautiful with the ocean waves crashing into the beach below and coastal Pokémon publicly enjoying every second of the unusually good weather.

It didn't take long for the group to find themselves at a visible distance from the smaller more old fashioned town. What better place for this book to turn around...

"It's beautiful," Serena says. Picture perfect grassy hills roll down towards the village styled town. Wooden and stone building are crowded in one place where everyone lives closely in harmony. Standing over the town is a tree the size of a small skyscraper. The trunk looks thicker than an average house and lush branches filled with leaves hang down from the top.

You could build an awesome tree fort in it.

"The perfect place to show the world your Pokémon Serena," Bonnie cheers with her Dedenne on her shoulder. The small brown fairy and electric type is surprisingly energetic right now.

"I can't wait to find the gym," Ash smiles confidently while the group walks down the hills with curious grass type Pokémon watching carefully.

"Well," Clemont says. "We probably should head to the Pokémon showcase to get Serena settled in early. The last thing you want to do is be rushing."

"He has a point," Serena smiles at the blonde.

"Maybe I could-" Ash starts but is interrupted.

"And you want to be there supporting me right?" Serena gives him baby doll eyes.

"Of course," Ash smiles while internally fighting against the urge to have a satisfying and challenging gym battle.