Chapter 14 Bertia (17 Years Old)[2]

Well, the content is surely related to that [otome game] again, so this kind of situation might not be the best place to talk about it.

"...Sorry for this, but can you just leave this to me? I want to have a proper talk with just the two of us for a moment."

I looked around at everyone, hinting at my insistence with my gaze.

So that they'll know this is not a request, but an [order].

"H-however, my daughter hasn't wedded yet, so even if you're her fiancé, to let her to be in a bedroom with just Your Highness..."

Though my close aide candidates and Bertia's friends only smiled wryly and nodded with resigned expressions as if saying, "Good grief," as expected, only her father—Marquis Noches—was unwilling.

Even with an [order], to let a man and a woman of a marriageable age to be in the same bedroom... Though this is officially just a nap room for people who felt ill, and even though the retainers can overlook the two of us being alone, as the father, he cannot allow it.

Well, it's not like I don't understand his feelings, though.

"...In that case, Zeno and you, too, Kuro, you two also stay. Is that all right, Marquis Noches?"

When I meaningfully looked at Marquis Noches to indicate that I wouldn't be compromising any further than this, he reluctantly nodded.

Bertia murmured, "Otou-sama...," imploringly, still held between my arms. However, I purposely pretended not to notice.

...Since we've come this far, I had absolutely no intention of letting her get away anymore.

"Thanks. ...Aah, that's right. Will you let me check just one thing?"

When the people inside the room were about to stream out as one, I suddenly remembered something that I had to check and called out to them.

"The scene that happened at the graduation ceremony just now, just how did it look like from your perspective?"

When I inquired, Miss Joanna who was at the back of the group blinked her eyes incessantly before muttering, "Aah," and slowly began to talk.

"The bird that cherished that woman called Heronia suddenly crashed through the glass, so Bertia-sama's maid stepped forward to protect the two of you, but just before it could bump into her, a bright light shone... and the bird appeared to have disappeared. However, I wasn't able to see the last scene clearly as it was just too radiant. I wonder what everyone else saw?"

She looked towards the people behind her, and when Lady Joanna turned the topic to everyone closer to the door than her, they all had a curious expression as they nodded, stating that they also saw the scene like that.

"Your Highness, just what was that? ...Could it be?"

As Charles tried to turn over the question to me, his eyes widened in surprise.

All of the people here including the guard knights are high-ranking nobles.

Even if they have never actually seen a [spirit], they had been taught about spirits in their respective houses as part of their education.

Of course, that also included keeping the existence of spirits a secret among only the upper echelon of nobles.

"Yeah, that's right. That bird is the light spirit's camouflage."

When I told them that while smiling, all of them had their breath taken away.

Though they were surprised, as expected, there wasn't a single person here who didn't understand what kind of creature the [light spirit] was.