Chapter 25 - Side by Side

In the end, I let Miyoko ride on the back of my motorbike, and we go out together. On the back of my bike, Miyoko wears a complex expression.

I probably have a similar expression on my face, as well...

(Why did Raika propose this...?)

(In any case...I have to do something about this awkward silence.)

"M-Miyoko? Where do you want to go first?"

"Oh! Um, w-well. Let me see..."

"Alright...let's go to the shopping mall."

"There are a lot of beautiful shops there that I think Raika would like."

"O-okay."

Somewhat awkwardly. Miyoko and I drove to check out the date spots.

The first place that she takes me is a stylish shop, aimed towards woman.

"So? What do you think?

"This is nice."

"Even if you stay here a long time, you won't get bored. They have all these cute accessories lined up."

Even as she says this, she looks down sadly for a moment. Then she quickly raises her face and gives me a small smile.

"Wh-When you go on your date, if Raika wants something, make sure you give it to her as a present, okay?"

"A-alright..."

We are both awkwardly polite to each other...

(this is awkward, and we haven't cleared the misunderstanding yet, what am I going to do?)

"When you give it to her as a present, make sure you set the mood, alright?"

"Like a fancy restaurant, or a beautiful view of the night sky..."

And yet, here she is, coming up with all these ideas for me.

(I can't tell her that because I'm not going on a date with Raika, her effort is meaningless...)

(It would be rude to Raika, and Miyoko who's going out of her way to do all of this.)

(what should I do?)

"Miyoko?"

Taking my eyes off of her for a moment, she is suddenly playing with the accessories on the edge of display shelf. Her eyes seem to be sparkling with amusement.

I am surprised by this sight.

(Was she always into that sort of thing?)

"Miyoko?"

"Hmm."

I call out to her and she spins around.

"What are you looking at so fervently?"

"Oh...! S-sorry!"

"We came here to scope out, and I got carried away."

"N-no! It's fine..."

"Are you into these sorts of accessories?"

I ask, and her face instantly brightens.

"Yeah! Look, it's so cute!!!"

In her hands is a small, white, furry doll. I glance over at another shelf...

"Hey, they have the same dolls in different colors."