Chapter Fourteen: Tribulation (rewrite)

•now the official ch. 14!•

*CHAPTER REWRITE*

Because I'm a freaking pleasing author.....

||

hiiiiii I TOTALLY didn't think I'd get this chapter out before my midterms this week!! But looky looky I did!

I'll warn y'all this time, you may need tissues
((also the song, I just rlly love this version of it and thought I kinda fit!!))

I hope you enjoy it!
pleeeease comment!

||

Before Anne realized where her feet had taken her she was pounding up the steps of the Blythe residence.

Anne raised her hand and knocked on the door, her head spinning. She tried to stop the flashback that was coming on, but couldn't.

" 'Princess Cordelia! Oh how I wish to be adopted by a loving family. A real family, one who would call me their own.' How immature, Anne," a girl with short blonde hair mocked.

"Don't you know that everyone you ever love will die on you, Anne Shirley," said a laughing tall brunette who spat in her face.

"Please, with that face and crazy thoughts like she has no one will ever love her. So take that as a blessing, Ann—without the e. Just fewer people to go and die on you," saying this the third girl kicked Anne, who had already been knocked to the floor.

"Anne. ANNE!"

A deep concerned voice brought her out of the flashback. Gilbert had opened the door to find a tired and scared red head with that all too familiar lost look in her eyes.

"Hm?" Anne shook her head, "sorry, I should go."

Anne turned and ran down the porch steps.

"Anne!" Gilbert called her but the redhead kept running.

Hot tears were spilling down Anne's face, and blurred her vision. Her foot caught on an upturned root, but before she could fall flat on her face a pair of strong arms caught her.

Gilbert had taken off after Anne. He was nearly close enough to grasp her wrist so he could make her talk to him when she stumbled. Out of instinct Gilbert reached out to catch her.

He held her close and looked down to her ghostly white face. Anne didn't fight him, her teeth were chattering and she was chilled to the bone.

"Hey," he whispered, "it's okay. How about you come inside and I'll make you a cup of tea? You're freezing, Anne."

Anne went to shake her head against the idea, but Gilbert had already started walking back to his house—Anne still in his embrace.

"It wasn't really a question, Anne."

"Okay," Anne stared down at the steps as she took them one at a time.

Gilbert could sense this was about more than their conversations from earlier that day, "come in. The fire is still ablaze. Go make yourself at home near it, and I'll be right in with the tea."