Chapter Twenty-Two: Safe Secret

WOW. 20 chapters in!! Thank y'all so much for reading! When I started this story I never would have guessed I'd be here! Anyways

Read, comment and vote on my loves

(another photo from my holiday travels)

||

"Dinner was simply scrumptious, thank you, Sebastian!" Anne praised as she set her fork down on her empty plate.

"It's good to see you actually eat," Gilbert smiled at Anne but received a scowl in return.

"You're very welcome, Anne, it's nice to have someone who appreciates my cooking." Bash stood and started to clear the plates while shooting a look at Gilbert.

Laughing Anne also stood, "let me help. Please, let me do something as a thank you for letting me in your home for so long."

Bash nodded, "While Anne helps me, Gilbert, why don't you go ready the guest room for Anne. You both could use a good sleep in actual beds tonight."

"Will do, Bash," Gilbert nodded and ran out of the kitchen up the stairs.

"That boy," Sebastian lightly chuckled, "sometimes I just look at him in amusement wondering what goes on in his head."

"I know what you mean," the words slipped out of Anne's mouth before she could clamp her mouth shut, "I-I mean..."

Anne stumbled over her words, trying to cover her words but finding herself unable.

A sly smile tucked up Sebastian's mouth, "it's alright, Anne, you two's secret's safe with me."

"I-uh...um," Anne stared at Sebastian puzzled. She herself didn't exactly know what had happened between her and Gilbert the last day and a half, and it bewildered her.

"Anne," Gilbert called her name from the stairs.

Anne nearly dropped the plate she was drying, as Gilbert's voice pulled her from her thoughts.

"It's alright Anne, I'll finish up the last couple," Sebastian nodded his head to the doorway, "you go off to bed and get some good rest, you hear now?"

"Will do, Sebastian!" Anne hugged the kindred spirit in front of her.

Gilbert appeared at the kitchen entrance, "Anne I have something for you."

His voice sober and kind, startled Anne, "A-alright. Goodnight Sebastian!" she called as she walked out of the kitchen.

"Goodnight, Princess!" Bash chuckled to himself after hollering goodnight to the girl and thought, they are so in love but how tragic it took a death to bring them together.

||

At the top of the stairs, Gilbert turned to the left and opened the door across the hall from his own.

"Now, Anne," Gilbert rubbed the back of his neck, "I hate to bring this up but tomorrow..."

His voice trailed off as he locked eyes with hers, the happiness in the shimmering blue eyes of hers fading away.

"Yes," Anne said soberly, "tomorrow."

"I know you were worried about a change of clothes earlier tonight, so I went ahead and brought an assortment of Nan's old things and placed them in the closet and drawers," Gilbert stepped into the guest room.

The small room, much smaller than both Nan and Gilbert's, was simply lit with a candle on the dresser and one on the bedside table. The room was plain, looked unlived in—quite how her room at Green Gables looked the first night she arrived.