Chapter 30

"It's getting colder" Nathan said.

"Thank you for pointing out the obvious" I joked.

I've been here a few days now. Haven't seen starlight and it's making me depressed. They let us use the bathroom which is located at the other side of the dungeon but I can only shower once or twice a week. I'm still wearing the same clothes, I wash them whatever chance I get.

"How can I get out of here?" I thought out loud. Nathan and I have been talking for days and turns out he's a really nice person but he hasn't told me why he's locked up.

Nathan didn't answer, he looked depressed and weak. They feed us once a day and the fish was sometimes raw and the water was rusty, the food made me choke. It smelled like chemicals and isolation, Lyra would have gagged to death if she was kept here for even one minute.

"I should have ran away when I had the chance" I said. My breath turning into mist.

"What were you running away from?" Nathan asked.

"The mess I made" I told.

"It's not your fault you got betrothed to....him" Nathan doesn't say his name but I know who he's talking about.

"I don't know what to do" I worried.

"You've said that a million times in the past few days you've been here" Nathan pointed out.

"It's true" I confess.

"Someone's coming" I said looking at the end of the dungeon. The door was open and a tall figure was approaching my cell.

"Are you sure about this?" someone asks.

"I can handle a girl" answers a familiar voice. "Leave" he adds.

He walks slowly for effect and soon he's standing in front of my cell.

"What are you doing here?" I said through gritted teeth.

"Visiting my future wife" Alec smirks.

"Just stop" I demanded.

"Don't you want to know how you family is?" he asked.

"What family?" I questioned.

"Your Dad left for Virgus a few hours ago and your grandmother...." Alec told "She's living right here at the palace. She has her own space and she's happy"

"Happy" I repeated "So you gave her what she always wanted"

Silence.

"Are you going to take Virgo?" I asked. "And Ophiuchus?" I added quickly.

No answer, instead he stood there awkwardly and shivered. I narrowed my eyes at him. He looked sorry for me. I did not need anyone's pity and especially not from him.

Nathan cleared his throat. Alec spins to Nathan, "I see you've made a friend, Annabelle"

"You'll never get away with this" Nathan said to Alec. His fists clenched.

"What are you going to do to stop me?" Alec teased, "Call your Crimson Keeper friends and throw rocks at me?" he added.

"What are you two talking about?"

"Nothing" they chorus.

Alec turned back to me and opened his mouth but I spoke first.

"You don't want to do this, do you?" I choked.

 The prince played with his fingers and sighed. "Annabelle," he started "If there was any other way I could help the kingdom I would. Trust me"

I couldn't hold my anger anymore. "Exactly how is stealing my constellations helpful?" I raged.