Chapter 31

"How many siblings do you have?" I asked Nathan. I couldn't sleep and it was probably midnight.

We had been talking for hours, Nathan's voice would echo in the dungeon as he talked from his cell and I replied from mine. I crossed my legs and covered myself with my coat.

"None, it's just me and my Mom" Nathan replied.

"What about your Dad?"

Nathan ducked his head and I saw his eyes glitter with tears. "He died before I was born" Nathan told.

"I'm sorry" I said. Nathan only shook his head.

"I never met him" he murmured.

"My mom died when I was a kid" I told sounding sympathetic.

"At least you met her" Nathan said.

"I was two years old," I snapped "and that doesn't mean I don't miss her or that it doesn't hurt" I sounded harsh and rude but what he said was hurtful to me.

I turned away and tried to get my brain to shut down. All I could thing about lately was Tristan, I hated myself for feeling like that.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean for it to come out like that" Nathan apologized.

I didn't say anything, he understood that I wasn't in the mood to talk so he kept quiet. I turned around on my bed, my back to him as I lay on my left side. Nathan copied me and fell asleep instantly.

I heard a voice in my head. Someone calling my name, that had cropped up before.

"Annabelle" she says. She repeats it about ten times.

Her voice echoes deep in the woods. It's pitch black and I keep hearing whispers. Barefoot I walk through the forest. My red hair is flowing in the breeze, brushing every inch of my body. The white dress that covers my body is of light material and I hope it won't fly upwards revealing my bare legs. The dirt is damp and squishy under my feet, the branches and thorns sprouting from the trees and bushes cut my arms.

"Annabelle" the voice whispers. I feel her breath against my ear as if she's standing right next to me. I spin around to see the trees I walked past.

She speaks again and this time a million other voices imitate her. I jogged through the woods, racing the trees and plants. Her voice rings in my ears and I can hear it deep in the forest.

"Stop it!" I shrieked. "Stop it!" repeated.

My knees buckled and I push myself to the ground. The voice speaks again and it's warm exhale touches my ear. I pull my hair back by my fingers and scream.

"What do you want from me?" I shout. I let go of my hair, some of it comes out on my fingers, sticking to my flesh by sweat. I rise and bang my head on the nearest tree trunk.

"There is no need for that" says a woman. I spin around slowly.

"You" I say. Pointing at the redheaded girl staring at me.

"Me" she smiles. I fight the urge to smack her in the face.

"What are you doing here?" I asked.

"Calling you" she informed.

"More like trying to drive me crazy" I correct.

"No one said this was going to be easy" 

"Yeah, I thought finding an unknown woman in my nightmares was going to be so much fun and not hard to process at all" I said, my voice streaked with sarcasm.

"Teenagers" she muttered under her breath.

"Why am I hear? Actually, why are you here?" I queried. "This is my nightmare" I pointed out.