A Little Bird Called Observation

Chapter 11:

Beckinsile's Point of View

I give Danika a small smile as she steps over my threshold. She responds with a sarcastic smile.

"Welcome to my house," I say as nicely as I can manage.

"If that's what you want to call it," Danika sets her platform sandals by the door and walks ahead of Oliver and I.

Brandon shoots me an apologetic look as he follows Danika. Oliver stops me before I can go off and follow them.

"You okay?" He gives me a meaningful look.

"Aside from being insulted in my own house, I'm fine." I mutter bitterly.

"I know she's being a brat but we can't back out now. We're forced to do the project with her no matter what."

"How am I supposed to work with that? There's nothing we can agree on and she insults me at every chance she gets." I roll my eyes and cross my arms.

"You'll find some common ground. Becks, please be the bigger person; we all know she won't even try to be." Oliver pleads with me and I nod slowly.

I need to be the bigger person and not let Danika get to me. She isn't worth it. I take a deep breath and follow Oliver to the living room. Danika and Brandon are seated on the couch looking rather comfy. I whisper something to Oliver and then disappear into the kitchen to retrieve the cookies. Luckily, my parents have some benefit to go to tonight and Nate texted me a few minutes ago saying he was sleeping over at a friend's house. At least if Danika is going to humiliate me, my family won't be around to witness it. I give myself a mental pep-talk as I bring the cookies to the living room. A couple of hours ago, I was confident that the cookies could tame the beast that is Danika but after her recent comment, I'm not so sure.

I set the cookies on the coffee table and wait for somebody to grab one. Brandon is first, followed by Oliver. Danika doesn't even make a move for my cookies; she just sits on my couch and glares at me. I pick up a cookie and offer it to her. She looks skeptical but grabs it anyways. I wonder if Brandon gave her the same talk Oliver gave me.

"These cookies are awesome, Beckinsile." Brandon's eyes light up as he grabs a second cookie.

I smile politely and wait for Danika's remarks.

"They are pretty good cookies, I guess," Danika rolls her eyes a little and takes a second cookie.

I can feel a slight weight being lifted off my shoulders. The ice-breaker is working. I take a seat in my dad's comfy recliner and Oliver takes a seat on the couch.

"Do you guys have any ideas?" I say with a smile.

"I actually do have an idea..." Danika says with slight excitement. No sarcastic remarks; this is a good start.

~~~~~

Pizza boxes litter the floor. Cups sit on the table and props are strewn about the living room. Danika and I are wearing feather boas and cat eye glasses, acting as if we've been best friends forever. I don't know when or how it happened but for some reason we put aside the petty fights and are now somewhat friends. I don't know how long this will last but for now, I'm glad we're getting along. Oliver and Brandon are glad too. They seem happier and lighter somehow. Oliver is holding a camera and taking pictures of us while Brandon films the scene. Danika is holding a bag of coffee and we're both blurting out the final lines of our commercial.

"Cut," Brandon shouts and sets the camera on the coffee table.

"Bring it in team," Oliver chuckles and brings us all together for a group hug. The atmosphere feels different. We all seem happy and that makes my life a little easier.