Happy New Year

Chapter 35:

Beckinsile's Point of View

Winter break has depressingly come to an end. Oliver and I have spent almost every day together, sometimes with Ed, sometimes alone, and tonight is the last night we have before we're forced to go back to school.

My family is going over to the Marshalls' for New Year's. I'm dressed in a pink skirt, a navy blue shirt and my mom's gold pumps with my hair pulled back in bun. I grab my phone and follow my parents and grandparents out to the car. We all pile in and drive to the Marshalls.

"Welcome," Marsha says the minute we walk into her house. "It's so good to see you all," She engulfs each one of us in a hug before letting us continue onto the living room. Luke is sitting on the couch while Victoria is hard at work in the kitchen.

"Hey, Beckinsile..." Victoria squeals and wraps me in a hug.

"Hey, you look amazing," I gush and lean against the breakfast bar.

She's wearing a gold dress and has her hair hanging in loose waves, framing her face perfectly.

"Thanks and so do you...Now, I need to go get Luke from the living room before I finish dinner and he gets out of helping, again," Victoria takes off her apron and stands in the open doorway between the living room and the kitchen. "Luke, mom says you have to help at some point or the tuition payments may stop..."

Gabe walks into the room at that moment and smiles when he sees Victoria.

"Hey, Gabe..." Victoria gives him a hug and they both stand in the doorway staring at Luke.

"Love birds, look up..." Oliver smirks as he walks into the kitchen.

Victoria and Gabe look up at the same time. A groan escapes Victoria's lips and I laugh a little.

"Mom, I thought I told you to take down the mistletoe..." Victoria whines a little.

"I guess I forgot," Marsha smirks as she sees her daughter's epidemic.

"Yeah, 'forgot'," Oliver grins and pulls me into a hug.

He stands there and holds me while we wait for Gabe and Victoria to kiss.

"Oh, come here," Victoria pulls him close and plants one right on his cheek. "Done, now take down the mistletoe, mother..."

"Weak," Luke shouts from the living room.

"I didn't ask for a rating from you," Victoria sneers.

Gabe still seems to be in a daze from Victoria kissing him; Terra has never had this effect on him.

"Gabe, snap out of it..." I snap right in front of his face and he shakes his head a little like he's waking up from a dream.

"Snap out of what?" He asks dumbly.

"Your lover's daze..." Oliver smirks and Gabe reddens a little.

"Terra doesn't need to know about this..." Gabe puts his finger to his lips telling me to keep my silence.

"Oh don't worry I'm sure she thinks other guys are attractive; you can't possibly be her one and only..." I pat Gabe on the head and then follow Oliver to the living room.

The grown-ups are already seated and deep in conversation. Oliver and I take a seat on the couch as far away from the adults as we can get but that doesn't stop them from trying to suck us into the conversation.

"Mom, I need help with dinner!" Victoria calls from the kitchen.

"Coming; Marlene, why don't you come out to the kitchen and we can continue our conversation out there?" Marsha asks with a smile.

"Sure," My mom gets up and follows Marsha out to the kitchen.

The other adults continue talking, oblivious to Oliver and I, which is completely fine with us.

~~~~~

"Dinner's ready," Marsha calls from the kitchen half an hour later.

We all get up and follow Mr. Marshall to the large formal dining room. I take a seat next to Oliver and wait for everyone else to take their seats. My mom and Mrs. Marshall bring out dinner and we all serve ourselves.

There's roast chicken, creamed spinach, stuffed mushrooms and French bread. I take some of everything and begin eating once everyone else has served themselves.

"This is amazing," I give Mrs. Marshall a smile and take bite of the spinach.

"Thank you, sweetheart..." Mrs. Marshall says from her seat next to my mom.

After everyone's finished eating, Mrs. Marshall brings out dessert which is chocolate mousse. It's so rich and delicious that I can't stop eating it.

"I love this so much," Oliver says and we all mumble in agreement.

When we've all finished dessert, we retire to the living room and turn on the TV to watch the ball drop. Marsha brings out champagne for the adults and cups of apple cider for those of us who can't drink alcohol yet. The clock reads about five minutes until midnight. Oliver and I are seated on the couch along with my grandparents and Nate.

"Get on up you two," My mom smirks as the countdown to the new year begins.

"Five, four, three, two, one!" We all shout and Mr. Marshall pops the cork right as the ball drops.

Oliver pulls me close.

"Happy new year..." He places his lips on mine and everyone cheers.

"A toast to the new year!" The adults clink glasses and take sips of their champagne.

I look into Oliver's eyes and feel like the luckiest girl in the world. Not many girls get a guy that loves them as much as Oliver loves me and I'm not going to take that for granted. He grabs my hand and walks me back over to the couch. We take a seat and smile at how happy our families are together. I can't believe all that's happened since I started junior year but I wouldn't trade it for anything.

~~~~~

Around 1 A.M. my parents decide that we should probably get home. I kiss Oliver goodnight and say goodbye to his family. I follow my parents out to the car and slip in with a sleepy smile.

Gabe and Nate come in after me and my parents begin to drive us home. Once we arrive home, my parents open the front door and we all stumble off to our rooms. I slip into my pajamas and lay on my bed. I don't want to fall asleep but my body is aching from lack of it.

After half an hour of thought, I listen to my body and succumb to the sleep that wants to take over. I close my eyes and curl up under my comforter.

Please remember to vote and comment. Love you guys!!!!! <3