Chapter 1

It happened on a crisp fall day; the October leaves had turned vibrant hues of orange and yellow. The breakfast rush had just ended and  my mind wandered as I stared out of the window. Cars flashed by on the busy road in the city that never seemed to sleep. It was a big change from what I was used to, but it was my new reality.

"Tori, stop daydreaming and get your ass back to work," My boss, Daniel, said as he shuffled by me.

"Aye captain," I muttered and resumed wiping down the counter top.

The bell at the front door rang and in walked a group of four men clad in all black from head to toe. They took a seat at a booth in the back of the diner. Gem went over to give them the Waffle House greeting once they were settled in.

I had a few customers of my own to serve at the counter top. An elderly man who came in every Tuesday because it was a tradition with his wife, and a college kid nursing a bad hangover.  After I served my customers their meals, I took a seat at one of the stools at the far end of the counter. I noticed Gem approaching me, flustered.

"Oh my god," she mouthed.

"What's wrong?" I asked her. Her brown skin was pink on her cheeks and she seemed very jittery.

"Girl, you will never, EVER, believe who is sitting over there," She said, nodding in the direction of the table filled with the men in black.

I sighed, "Who?"

"Girl 6lack!" She quietly screamed and squeezed my hand.

"Ummm.... who's that?" I asked indifferently.

Gem's hands flew up to her hips as she stared me down. The sunlight highlighted her candy red hair, making her look fierce. 

"Sis! 6lack! Free 6lack, he's literally from Atlanta. Up and coming singer," all of her words ran together.

"Order up!" the chef called from the window.

Gem glared at me, "This aint over, I'll be back."

While Gem went to serve this up and coming singer, I was left to sweep the floors. I popped in my earbuds and H.E.R Changes was playing. Daniel hated when I listed to music during my shift. He said it was "unprofessional" and that I should take my job more seriously. As if I really needed the job in the first place.

"I been going through some changes... been running out of maybes... boy I know you're losing patience. Losing patience with me," I sang out.

The chorus was coming up as I made my way to the other end of the diner.

"We got options, but I wanna let you know that I decided, I finally realized that all I want is you. You... all I want is you, you, you, you, youuuu"

"Tori!" My head snapped up at the sound of Daniel's voice.

"Yes..." I muttered as I took out my earbuds.

"This is not a music hall, save the singing for your own time! You're disturbing the customers," He said before disappearing.

"Whatever..." I muttered as I put the broom and dustpan away.

I resumed my position behind the countertop and Gem resumed hounding me about 6lack.

"You really don't know who he is?" she asked dumbfounded.

"No."

"Gimmie your phone," Gem demanded with her hand out.

After a minute Gem gave me my phone back, there was an album pulled up on the screen. Free 6lack.

An interesting title for an album I guess.

"This is his first album. The last three songs are bonus tracks. Listen to it. Report back to me ASAP!"

"Yes sir! Gem sir!" I said as I saluted her.

The men in black approached the counter all at once, they were ready to pay for their meals.

"Tori is it?" A  voice called out. His voice had me like honey in a hot cup of tea.

My eyes met those of a man with flawless brown skin, a freshly cut beard, and full lips that were just begging to be kissed. He was wearing three small chains around his neck and a couple gold rings on his fingers. God made sure to take his time with this one.

"Yeah?" I finally responded.

"You weren't disturbing us at all," He said as he handed over a one-hundred-dollar bill to Gem. "Keep the change," he said, and then he and the others left.

Gem squealed as soon as the door shut all the way. "That was him! That was him!" she shouted.

"Who?"

"6lack dummy! The one that literally just spoke to us," she slapped my arm.

"Oooh...cool."

"Earth to Tori!" Gem waved her hands in front of my face.

"What?" I said as I brought my attention back to her.

"You trippin and I'm keeping this fat tip to myself."

I shrugged and did some last-minute cleaning before clocking out. I stuck my name tag on the fridge in the kitchen and quickly got in my car.

"Listen to that album Tori!" Gem called out after me.

I decided to take her advice for once and listened Free 6lack on my drive home.