20

When I got home that afternoon, Craig wasn't there. It wasn't surprising considering he usually worked on Saturdays anyway.

I decided that I had nothing better to do and would go to work at Tweak Bros. Picking up some overtime might take my mind off things for awhile. After all, coffee is the most comforting thing in the world.

I wasn't surprised when I got there that I saw Karen working. Ever since she was old enough she started working wherever and whenever she could to help support her family.

Kenny still worried about her, but he said he worried less when she worked at Tweak Bros because I was there I look over her.

I think he was just trying to be nice because I'm a hot mess and he still comes in to check on her every now and then.

She's nice though, and easy to be around.

She smiled and waved when she saw me come in.

I got my apron from the rack and put it over my neck. Karen immoderately without me even asking cane over to tie it around my waist. I always struggle to tie it because of how much my hands shake.

"I thought you had today off?" She said as she finished knitting the strings.

"I-I thought I'd g-get some extra cash while I-I have n-nothing to do," plus, I'll be needing it when I have to pay bills on my own.

"Well, I'm always happy to see you," Karen smiled, her hair tied back in a loose braid. "It's been a... a pretty slow day."

"Mm. S-Saturday's usually are," I smiled crookedly back at her, "How a-are things?"

She pulled her stool over to the counter and sat down, "Well, there's a girl I like at school."

"That's good! H-How are things with her? Y-You have to t-tell me about her," I hope her love life is going better than mine. She deserves it.

"Well, She's kind of... cold when you first meet her. But when you get to know her better s-she's really sweet and is one of the nicest people I know. Some people tell me that she's mean and I shouldn't hang out with her, but I just don't think they see the real her. You know?"

I smile and nod, it sounds exactly like someone I know... "Tell me m-more about her."

Karen and Tweek are friends: fight me.