Chapter 18

Cheryl crept down the hall to her parent's room, listening at the door for the sound of her father's snoring to tell her that the coast was clear before she went back to the door across from her own. She twisted the crystal doorknob slowly, trying to remain as silent as a mouse as she entered the bedroom, closing the door behind her and flipping on the light.

Warmth spread through her as a smile took over her face. Jason's room always comforted her, but her parents never wanted her to go in there. It hadn't changed since the day he died. Trophies littered the walls, along with several baseball posters and framed trading cards. Even his bed was made, neat as a pin as he had done the morning of the tragic accident. Over the past seven years, there were times when Cheryl wanted to tuck herself under the sheets and let her brother's spirit bring her the comfort she craved. But she never wanted to ruin his hard work. Though the bed now had a thin coating of dust on it, nothing on it had moved an inch since that day. But sometimes Cheryl would come into the room, sit on his beanbag chair and go through his things. Photos, toys, books, anything that would let her relive the memory of her twin.

"Where is it, Jay Jay?" she whispered, looking around the room for what she needed. Stepping towards the closet, she opened the door and knelt down, smiling when she found what she had been looking for. It was a vintage wooden trunk full of old props and costumes that they would use to play dress up as kids. She undid the latch and lifted the lid, looking through the box. She and Jason used to love playing dress up. One time, she whacked him a little too hard with a plastic magic wand and he needed two stitches on his forehead. That was the day that the dress up trunk was moved to Jason's room instead of hers. He never cried that day. He was brave and forgiving, and understood that it was just an accident.

Cheryl rummaged through the array of costumes, wanting something simple to wear to school tomorrow for Halloween. Picking up a pair of black cat ears, she smiled. This could be simple enough. Maybe a black sweater and skirt would pull the look together. She didn't exactly want a lot of attention. And she definitely couldn't dress in a way that would give her parents any indication that she was actually participating in Halloween this year.

With a smile, she closed the trunk quietly and tip-toed out of the room, closing the door slowly behind her before heading back to her own bedroom, tucking the cat ears into her backpack for tomorrow.

xxx

"Check it out, Reg, Cheryl Blossom dressed up as a pussy!" Sweet Pea smacked Reggie's shoulder as them and their crew approached the redhead at her locker first thing in the morning. She sighed inwardly as she sifted through her books that she needed for first period. Homeroom hadn't even started yet and she was already regretting wearing the cat ears.

"Oh, Blossom, didn't anyone tell you? You were supposed to wear a costume," Reggie snickered, snatching the cat ears off of Cheryl's head, making her turn around to face them. They were both wearing leather jackets with poorly drawn Southside Serpent logos taped to their backs. It would surely get them in trouble later on today, since even the mention of the dangerous biker gang was sometimes grounds for detention at this school.

"What are you assholes doing?" Toni broke through them, making Cheryl freeze at the sight of her. She had on a pink dress with half sleeves and a pink sash around her waist. Glittery magenta eye shadow covered her eyelids, and to top it all off, her hair was tinted with a few strands of pink to match it all. Cheryl recognized her costume immediately. Jem and the Holograms was one of her favorite cartoons growing up. She had told Toni that the first Saturday she'd spent at her house.

"We were just reminding Blossom that being a pussy for Halloween doesn't count if you're a pussy every other day of the year," Reggie smirked, tossing the ears back and forth with Sweet Pea.