Chapter 29

"Bright and early, babe," was something Cheryl was so used to hearing on Sunday nights. It was like a routine now. She would sneak downstairs after her parents fell asleep, close herself in the pantry, and talk on the phone with Toni. Even if neither of them had anything of importance to say, it didn't feel right if they ended their Sundays without a phone call and a promise to meet in the dark room the next morning.

But Cheryl wasn't exactly looking forward to school today. After the dance on Friday, she wasn't sure she wanted to face anyone. And she definitely didn't want to run into Moose. She was just grateful that she didn't have any classes with him. But she pushed the thought down as she dropped her winter jacket off in her locker and made her way to the photography lab on the second floor, trying not to slip on the tile with her shoes covered in melted snow.

As usual, she pushed her way into the classroom, dropping her bag at a desk and opened the door to the dark room, biting her lip when she saw Toni waiting for her like she always was. "Hi," she mumbled, shyly, tucking hair behind her ear shyly. Why did she still get so nervous around her?

"Hey, cutie," the brunette smirked, turning around in the swiveling desk chair. She pulled the giggly redhead into her lap, her arms wrapping securely around her waist as she leaned up to kiss her. "You okay?" she cocked her head a bit to the side. She didn't exactly expect Cheryl to be eager to come to school today, but she wanted to make sure that she wasn't crippled with anxiety either.

Cheryl nodded, playing with the rings on Toni's fingers distractedly, "Just a little nervous," she admitted with a slight nod, pushing her glasses up the bridge of her nose. "I'm not really sure what to expect."

"You don't have any classes with any of those guys, do you?" Toni's hand came up to brush loose strands of hair from her face.

She shook her head and leaned into her palm when she cupped her cheek after tucking hair behind her head. "Just study hall with Sweet Pea and Reggie..."

"And me."

"And you," Cheryl chuckled. As it was, she wasn't nervous about going to study hall, knowing that Toni would be there. She ran her fingers up and down the soft green and black flannel on Toni's arms, feeling each and every fabric pill under her fingertips. "Are you gonna be okay today?"

"What do you mean?"

"You're not gonna try to kill anyone are you?" Cheryl smirked.

"I guess I won't try to, but I want to," she mirrored her smirk, the playful, but devilish grin spreading on her face, "But seriously, if anyone gives you any shit, tell me."

"I hope they won't...but if I tell you they do, you can't kill them," she leaned her forehead against Toni's, sighing inwardly.

"Wish I could kill Moose. I hate that he's getting away with the shit he tried to pull on you." Toni's whispering voice was calm, but Cheryl could feel her tensing up under her. She ran her hands up to the sides of her neck, running her thumbs over the warm, tanned skin as she kissed her slowly.

"He has to live with himself. Let karma take care of him," she whispered with a bit of a solemn smile, kissing her again just before the classroom door closed outside the dark room, forcing them to separate.

"You're too nice," Toni mumbled as Cheryl got off her lap, standing up just as Mr. Clemmons opened the door, "Hey, Mr. C."

"Hey girls. Did you have fun at the dance?" the older man smiled, setting his things down, "I got some great photos for the paper."

"Lots of fun. Thank you, Mr. Clemmons," Cheryl nodded, tucking hair behind her ear as she headed for the door, Toni trailing behind her.

xxx

i just want you to know who i amOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara