Chapter 16: Live With Lonesome part 1

2014

‘’I’m coming back home.’’ Jimi sang while he opened the front door.
"Open it fast, please! I have to reunite with the toilet as soon as possible!’’ Karen pushed Jimi away and disappeared into the hall when the door was open. 
‘’Such an bad excuse.’’ 
‘’Yes, now we have to carry her stuff inside!’’ Elijah said and grabbed Karen’s suitcase and started to pull. He fell on the ground. ‘’What did mommy take home? Bricks?’’
Jimi had to laugh ‘’Clothes.’’ He grabbed Elijah’s little backpack of the ground and gave it to his son. ‘’Here buddy, I’ll take care of mom’s stuff.’’ Together they walked inside and Jimi closed the door behind him. When he wanted to place his foot on the first stair when Karen started to scream, followed by Elijah.
‘’What’s going on here?!’’ Jimi rushed to the living room and found his wife standing in the middle of it with Elijah in her arms. The living room was a mess; plants and flowers were threw out of their fase, magazines were ripped apart and diffused through the whole room, books were threw out of the cabinets and the furniture stood skewed. 
‘’Someone broke in!’’ Jimi yelled.
‘’Like I didn’t saw that already!’’ Karen snapped. Elijah looked at her and she looked back. ‘’Oh, I’m sorry, E.’’ The latest months were tough for Karen, the recovery was a kind of heavy on the stomach for her, she snapped a lot toward Jimi until the two found out that it made Elijah upset, since then she tried to stop, well at least try to snap less.
‘’It’s fine.’’ He released himself out of Karen’s arms and walked to his dad, who lifted him up. 
"They didn’t steal anything, at least not here.’’
‘’I’ll take a look upstairs.’’
‘’Please, don’t leave Elijah alone!’’ Karen looked scared.
Jimi nodded and the two disappeared out of Karen’s sight. When they came back she just hung up her phone. 
‘’The cops are here within twenty minutes. Everything alright upstairs?’’
‘’I think they didn’t even went upstairs.’’ 
‘’What a shit end of the vacation.’’ Karen sighed and took a seat on the floor. ‘’What a mess.’’
‘’Let’s make a bet for who will clean it up.’’ Jimi joked, but realized Karen wasn’t laughing. He took a seat next to his wife and wrapped his arm around her. ‘’Hey, it’ll be okay.’’
‘’Yes, don’t be sad mommy.’’ Elijah crawled to Karen’s lap and made a typical 4-year-old joke. Her attempt to smile failed. 
‘’I’m tired.’’ Elijah whispered.
‘’Let me bring you to bed then.’’ Jimi stood up and lifted Elijah up.
‘’Do you think it’s save?’’ Karen looked up to Jimi.
‘’Of course it is, and the cops are coming soon, maybe they'll scare Elijah.’’
‘’Cops! I want to see the cops!’’ Elijah shouted. 
‘’No, that’s big people business only.’’ 
"But I am big too!’’ 
‘’No, you’re not, you’re still small, little man.’’ Jimi reminded his son to his nickname.
‘’Be happy that you’re still small.’’ Karen stood up.
‘’What do you mean with that?’’
‘’Never mind.’’ She turned to Elijah. ‘’Just go to sleep, everything is fine. And if you’re scared tonight just crawl in our bed, okay?’’ Karen gave Elijah a kiss and watched him and Jimi walking upstairs.
When Jimi came back downstairs, Karen sat on the floor again, with her head against the wall and her eyes closed. In her right hand she had a beer and took a sip of it every now and then.
‘’Honey, don’t worry too much, it will be okay.’’ Jimi sat down next to her.
‘’I know that, it’s just,’’ Karen sighed. ‘’I thought a new start, no bad things only happy thing and now this happens. It just makes me so mad!’’
‘’Just let it go.’’ Jimi grabbed Karen’s hand who laid her head on Jimi’s shoulder. She took another sip of her beer.‘’I couldn’t find the Pontoon-koozie.’’ She lifted the bottle up. 
‘’I actually like to see you drinking a beer.’’ 
‘’Why?’’
‘’I don’t know, you’re cute.’’
‘’I know, I know.’’ Karen frowned. ‘’No, I don’t know that, you just say that ten times a day." 
After all the problems Karen had, Kimberly told Jimi that Karen is actually pretty insecure. She is good at covering that because Jimi never actually noticed that. Since Kimberly told that Jimi is saying saying a lot of sweet things about his wife, but she just thinks he is getting crazy
‘’If you want to have something just buy it, I’m not your mother.’’
‘’Why do you think I want something?’’
‘’Well eh, all those compliments you are giving me the latest weeks, it’s weird ya know.’’
‘’Why is it weird?’’ Jimi laughs. ‘’I just want to let you know that I love you."
‘’I believe you then, thank you.’’ Karen squeezed in Jimi’s hand.They saw a reflection of flashing blue lights and slapping car doors. 
‘’Hide the beer, the cops are here.’’
‘’Oh Jimi, that’s so bad!’’ Karen giggled and put the beer back in the fridge, together with Jimi she walked to the front door. 
"Mrs. Westbrook?" The officer said when they opened the door.
"That's me." Karen said and smiled to Jimi.
"Well, she's the only mrs here."
There was a short awkward silence.
"My name's officer Hall and you've called 911?"
"Yeah, we came back from our holiday to Miami and someone broke in. The living room is a mess. I can show you the place, if you want."
"After you, Mrs. Westbrook."
"Please call me Karen." She walked to the living room followed by Jimi, officer Hall and two other cops.