Chapter 5: Good As Gone

2005

Octorber 15, Kimberly’s birthday. The girls went shopping and in the evening Karen cooked for Kimberly and a friend of her, Stephen ‘Schlap’ Schlapman, who supported Kimberly a lot after Steven died. 

‘What are you going to cook for us?’ Kimberly asked. 

‘Lobster.’ Karen replied. ‘If that’s alright. Does Schlap likes lobster?’ 

‘Yes.’ Kimberly’s happy. Karen thought. She loves to see Kimberly happy. It’s been a hard year for her. Schlap is a huge support for her. 

‘Thank you so much for doing this Kiki.’ Kimberly gave Karen a hug. 

‘No worries, girl, I do everything to make you happy.’ She said. She didn’t told Kimberly about what happened between Jimi and her three weeks ago but what she not knows is that Kimberly already knows it. She decided to tell it Kimberly after her birthday, she is just scared to lose her. She never lied to her. ‘Something’s wrong?’ Kimberly asked. 

‘Of course not.’ Karen smiled to Kimberly. ‘Hey why don’t you just dress up, I’ll take care here.’ 

‘If you say so. You sure know I don’t have to help?’ Karen nodded. ‘Don’t blow up the kitchen please.’ Kimberly yelled. 

‘I’ll try.’ Karen laughed.

Thirty minutes later Kimberly walked into the living room where Karen was reading a magazine. 

‘Kiki help me I don’t know what to wear.’ Karen turned around and saw that Kimberly brought more than eight dresses downstairs. 

‘Ah, sweetie. You’re nervous aren’t you?’ she nodded and started to cry. 

‘Hey girl what’s wrong. Come take a seat.’ 

‘I… I… I think I’m a bit in love with Schlap’ Karen started to smile. 

‘Nothing’s wrong with that. We all have those feelings.’ 

‘but… I’m married to Steven.’ 

‘Honey, Steven died…’ 

‘I know, but it feels like I’m cheating on him. It’s not that long ago… and I’m just struggling with those feelings for two weeks already and… I didn’t told you and I feel so guilty about it but I’m also ashamed of it. Help me, Karen, I don’t know what to do.’ 

Why is she so damn honest? Karen thought. I had to do the same, two years ago already.  

‘It may sound hard, but Steven is in Heaven. He’ll always know that you love him but you also have to move on. There is always someone who makes you happy in life. You need to share this life with that person. If Schlap is this person then you have to go for it. Not lying to everyone for two years.’ Kimberly lifted up one eyebrow. 

‘What do you mean with the last one?’ 

‘Nothing, just an example.’ Kimberly hugged Karen. ‘

Thank you Kiki. I love you.’ 

‘I love you too Kim, I love you too.’ Kimberly doesn’t notice that there streams a tear down Karen’s face.

‘Hi Schlap.’ Karen said. 

‘Hi Karen.’ They gave each other three kisses on the cheek. ‘Where’s the birthday girl?’ Karen pointed to the living room. 

‘Right behind that door.’ Schlap walked into the room with a huge pie while he sang ‘’happy birthday’’. Karen heard Kimberly giggling. She walked into the room with champagne. She saw that Kimberly hugged Schlap. They are a cute couple she thinks while she was filling three glasses with champagne.