Chapter 9: You Can't Have Everything

2007

 ‘’Here I am again.’’ Kimberly cowers. ‘’I know I need to stop with coming here. Not only for you, but also for myself.’’ A tear streams down her face. ‘’But today’s special. It’s been… it’s been two years since you left me.’’ Kimberly can remember the phone call she got from the hospital. ‘’and I miss you so much.’’ She starts to cry. ‘’and that I met someone else doesn’t mean I forgot you, I don’t. I wish you could meet Daisy Pearl.’’ She smiles when she said her baby girl’s name. ‘’she’s so sweet. But I do realize if you were still here I didn’t had her.’’ She sighs. ‘’things went different, don’t you think?’’ Kimberly looks up  and closes her eyes. She starts to think about the day she met Steven. No, I met him because of Karen, she thinks. Karen. She remembers the day they met as it was yesterday. Kimberly’s sorority had a lot of parties at the ADPi-house, Karen’s sorority. She liked to hang out there because it was close to the lake. That night she sat on a bench, outside, starring at the lake, as she always did when she was there.
‘’I hate him!’’ Karen yelled. She didn’t noticed Kimberly. She looked up. ‘’Oh, sorry. It wasn’t meant for you.’’
‘’It’s okay.’’ Kimberly smiled.
‘’May I ask you what you’re doing here?’’
‘’I just like the lake. Can’t I be here?’’ Kimberly felt stupid.
‘’Of course you can.’’ Karen joined Kimberly on the bench. ‘’I like the lake too. Sorry for that.’’
‘’It’s alright. Are you okay? You sounded a bit sad.’’
Karen sighed. ‘’It’s Shelton, my boyfriend. He can be so childish like… ugh!’’
Kimberly knew Shelton. Not that they talked to each other or something, Shelton was popular, like Karen. Kimberly had a lot of friends too but she wasn’t really popular.
‘’Ahw, I’m sorry for you.’’ Kimberly put her hand on Karen’s shoulder.
‘’You don’t have to be sorry.’’ Karen said. ‘’I’m thinking about to break up with him, anyway.’’
What?! Did Karen just told her one of her secrets. This night started to be more interesting. Wow.
‘’Forget this. I don’t think we’ve met before.’’ Karen sticked her hand out to Kimberly. ‘’I’m Karen Fairchild.’’ Kimberly shook Karen’s hand.
‘’Kimberly Roads. But people call me Kim. We have Maths together. And other stuff…’’  
‘’Yeah, Maths! I hate that. I really suck at it.’’
‘’Really?’’ Kimberly asked. Karen nodded. ‘’I can help you. If you want.’’
Karen looked up. ‘’Really? That would be amazing!’’
‘’Just ask me when you need me.’’
‘’Can you help me with the exam for next week?’’
‘’Sure, whenever you want.’’
‘’How about tomorrow. At my place. I stay here at the ADPi-house.’’
‘’Okay, at 2pm?’’
‘’Sounds like a date for me.’’ The girls smiled to each other.

Kimberly had never seen the ADPi-house by day from the inside. It’s huge, but pretty. Karen’s room was upstairs. She knocked on the door, which was open.
‘’It’s me Kimberly.’’ She said.
‘’Kimberly! Come in.’’ she heard Karen’s voice. Kimberly walked into the room, she was surprised how big it was. Karen sat on her bed and was doing the hair of another girl.
‘’Hi, I’m Kandee Alison.’’ She said.
‘’ Kimberly Roads.’’ Kimberly replied.
‘’I know you. You’re the girl with the amazing hair!’’ Wait, some of the popular girls know my name, she thought. That’s new for me.
‘’My hair? I hate it! I would like to have your hair. Just straight.’’
‘’Oooh, can we place switch? I’m in love with your curls!’’ Kandee shouted.
‘’We all are.’’ Karen said and she winked to Kimberly. ‘’We do talk a lot about your hair.’’
‘’Only positive things.’’ Kandee said. Really? Did these girls really talked about my messy hair? Kimberly thought.
‘’Yes, the whole ADPi-house would commit a crime only to have your hair.’’ Karen said.
‘’Really? Ahw, thank you.’’
‘’Done.’’ Karen said to Kandee, who stood up and walked to the mirror.
‘’Wow, I love it! Thanks Karen!’’ Kandee hugged Karen.
‘’Where’s you’re going to?’’ Kimberly asked.
‘’I have a date.’’ Kandee started to giggle.
‘’Really with who?’’
‘’With…’’ Kandee made a little scream. ‘’Jason Caroll!’’ Kandee and Karen shouted at the same time. The three girls started to scream.
‘’Really, wow! He’s like the most handsome person I’ve ever seen!’’ Kimberly shouted.
‘’Don’t take my man, Kim!’’ Kandee said. They all laughed. ‘’But I’m leaving, adios!’’
‘’Oh, if there comes an awkward silence, you need to ask him about this favorite band. That always works.’’ Kimberly said.
‘’Really? Awesome! Thanks a lot!’’ Kandee ran to Kimberly and hugged her like they knew each other for ages.
A popular girl just hugged me? What’s going on with my life? Kimberly thought. I guess God is blessing me. She looked up. Thanks.
‘’Alright, Math.’’ Karen grabbed her books. ‘’Come, lay next to me. Or do you want to sit?’’
‘’No, this is okay.’’ Kimberly laid next to Karen, it felt a kind of awkward.
‘’Just asking. I always do my homework on my bed but I don’t know how it’s possible but I can only make English when I sit.’’ The girls had to giggle.
‘’That’s a bit strange, yes.’’ Kimberly said.
After an hour Karen threw her books on the floor. ‘’I hate this.’’ She said. ‘’I’m done for today.’’
‘’Yes, sure. But do you get it?’’
‘’Yes, I finally do! You’re the best teacher.’’ Karen hugged Kimberly. ‘’Thanks.’’
And again a popular girl hugs me, Kimberly thought, life if good.
‘’Shall, we continue tomorrow?’’
‘’sure, how about my place? It’s not as big as this but I do have a radio.’’
‘’I’d love to. Is your dorm at the begin of the campus or at the end?’’
‘’North.’’
‘’Ah, that are the best ones! Do you want  something to drink? No, I have an idea. Let’s eat downtown. I know a nice place.’’
Kimberly scratched herself. Is this real?!