Chapter 4: Tryin'

2005

Jimi was hiding behind a tree. A door got open, Karen walked out of it, wavex to the house and drove away in her car. Bingo! Jimi knocked on the door of the house. 
‘Hi Jimi!’ Kimberly said. 
‘Hey Kim, can I get in?’ Jimi asked. 
‘Sure, you don’t have to ask that anymore.’ She giggled. They gave each other three kisses on the cheek like they always do when they see each other. Jimi followed Kimberly to the living room. It’s a mix between glamorous black and white and cute colors. 
‘Yes, that’s what you get when two girls decorate on room.’ Kimberly laughed. After two months Jimi is still surprised every time he comes into this house. 
‘Yeah.’ He nodded. ‘You can see who did what.’ 
‘Karen is not from the pink shades everywhere but I don’t mind, I love what she added to our cute little house.’ Since Steven died, two and a half month ago, Karen moved in by Kimberly to support her through the hard times and it helps, the two love to live with each other. 
‘Do you want some tea?’ Kimberly asked. 
‘Yes, please.’

While Kimberly disappeared into the kitchen Jimi checked out the pictures in the house. Photos of Kim and Steven’s wedding day, Karen and her family, Kimberly and Karen together and the last one; a photo of the band on Fleetwood Mac’s star on the Walk Of Fame. 
‘Drinks.’ Kimberly came in with two cups of tea, Jimi noticed that her eyes were red. 
‘Are you okay, Kimmy?’ He joined her on the couch. 
‘Yes, I’m fine.’ She gave him a little smile. ‘I just saw something which reminds me of Steven, stupid right?’ 
Jimi is proud of Kimberly, so are Phillip and Karen. They know it’s a hard time for her but she keeps working on their second CD and it gets better with her. She giggles again. Also the other band mates had a hard time because Steven was their band lawyer and a very close friend, Karen had the hardest time of them three, Jimi caught her on crying a lot. He tried to help her but the word ‘’help’’ hardly excites in Karen’s vocabulary. 
‘It’s not stupid at all. You know that we are here for you. Phillip, Karen and I.’ Jimi said. 
‘Yeah.’ Kimberly wipped off the tears of her face. ‘I guess you are not here to see me cry, so what does you bring here? Oh, if you came for Karen I have to disappoint you; she’s having dinner with a friend.’ 
‘Which friend?!’ Jimi. Too fast. 
‘Oh gussie, what was his name again?’ 
‘His?!’ 
‘Yes! Eh… oh yea! Shelton. Did you know that they dated? Yes, at college there were boyfriend and girlfriend but he pissed Karen off every time because he acted like a six year old child.’ She had the laugh by the thought but Jimi lost the man in himself and tears come into his eyes. 
‘Woah, Jimi. The story was meant as something funny, not to make you cry.’ 
‘Me crying? Naw, something’s in my eye.’ 
‘Jimi Westbrook.’ Kimberly grabbed Jimi’s hand. ‘You’re the worst liar I know. Tell me what’s wrong, let me help you. That’s were friends are for.’ 
‘I… eh… I.’ Jimi had no idea what to say. Out of nerves he grabbed the photo of Kimberly and Karen of the table and kept starring at it. 
‘I know it!’ Kimberly looked shocked. ‘You’re in love with Karen!’ 
Finally. Jimi was actually happy that he didn’t had to tell it. 
‘Yes, I am.’ He had to admit. ‘For two years now. All those months. It keeps me awake, every night. Again and again. I just stay awake to think about her. About her smile, how she laughs, the way she talks. Every night I’m just waiting for her to come in and say that she loves me too. It’s ridiculous, I know. She doesn’t even like me. And it would be impossible because of the band. I thought after the broke up with Mark… that I could make a change but… I just love her so much. I enjoy all our time together… I don’t know.’ 
‘Ahw, Jimi.’ Kimberly hugged him. ‘Thanks for trusting me. Does she knows this?’ ‘No.’ 
‘What if… what if I help Karen a bit?’ 
‘What?’ 
‘Helping her to convince to go on a date with you. ’ 
Jimi started to laugh. ‘That’s awkward: ‘’hey Karen, Jimi is in love with you for two years you need to date him.’’ Sorry, but no.’ 
‘Noooo silly!’ Kimberly shouted. ‘You know? Let’s order a pizza and we’ll make a plan.’