Chapter 3: Kiss Goodbye

2005

Karen was laying on the couch, two weeks after their band-night, when Jimi said that he loves her. She was still confused of it. He was drunk, she was drunk, did he meant it? Or not? She got crazy of that thought the last two weeks. She told the band she was sick and didn’t came out of her home for two weeks and asked her neighbor to buy food for her. She wasn’t even in the mood to shop, then you know it’s really serious. She took a Vogue of the table and started to read an article when the doorbell rings. Karen stood up and sighed. She was not in the mood to talk to someone, or worse, seeing someone. She opened the door, it was Jimi. She looked surprised. 
‘What the heck are you doing here?’ she asked. She pushed the door to the wall and walked to the couch. 
‘Why I’m here? You’re sick and we are friends. It’s completely normal that I come to visit you but you don’t look sick right?’ He says. 
‘Come in, close the door and tell me what you want.’ Karen fell on the couch. Jimi walked in, closed the door and repeat the line ‘’you aren’t sick ha.’’ again. 
‘Uh, yes I am.’ She whispered. 
‘You’re drinking’ wine.’ 
‘So?  The doctor says it’s good for me.’ 
‘I’m the morning!’ Jimi screamed. ‘And now tell me what’s really going on Karen!’ The phone rang, it was not her cell phone. Ugh. She looked at it and recognize the number. Kimberly. Two years ago they had a party at a campfire, there the promised if something bad was going on the would call each other on the regular phone. Kimberly never called Karen on that but vice versa she did. Karen called Kimberly every time she had problems with Mark and now her best friend needs her. She was wondering what’s going on. 
‘Don’t pick it up.’ Jimi said. 
‘Hush it, it’s important.’ She said. 
‘How do you know?’ He walks to the kitchen table to look at a magazine. Karen has a magazine vice, magazines are everywhere. 
‘Just shut up.’ She said to Jimi and picked up the phone. ‘Kimberly, what’s wrong?’ She heared Kim crying at the other side. 
‘Oh, Karen. Please come to the hospital!’ 
‘The hospital what?!’ Karen jumped of the couch and put an old pair of sneakers on. 
‘Please come fast.’ Kimberly begged. 
‘I’m on my way.’ Karen hung up the phone and threw her car keys to Jimi. ‘Bring me to the hospital now.’ She says and she ran to her car. 
‘Hospital?’ Jimi followed her. ‘What’s going on?’ They step into the car and drive away. 
‘I have no idea.’ Karen cried. ‘But I’m scared.’

Karen ran into the hospital while Jimi was driving through the parking lot to find some space for the car. At the desk Karen asked for Kimberly Roads. The girl looked up. 
‘Hey, you’re Karen Fairchild from Little Big Town!’ She shouted. ‘Look!’ 
‘Yes I am but I need Kimberly Roads.’ She yelled. ‘Now! Where is she?’ Everybody  was looking at her. She heared Kimberly saying her name, then she saw her. Full of tears. ‘Oh sweetie!’ While she ran to Kimberly she started to cry too. They gave each other a hug. 
‘Why are you here? What’s going on?’ Karen yelled. Kimberly was shaking. 
‘It’s… it’s Steven. He went knocked out and the doctors don’t want to tell me what’s going on.’ She buried her face in Karen’s hair. 
‘Oh, shit.’ She said.

Karen’s leaned with her head to the wall. Her eyes were closed. With her hand she went through Kimberly’s curly blonde hair, who laid on her lap in the waiting room. They were the only one there. 
‘I’m scared.’ Kim whispered. 
‘Shh, it’ll be alright.’ A tear rolled down Karen’s face and fell on Kimberly’s face. ‘Your crying on my face.’ She said. The both smile at each other. When Karen wanted to close her eyes again they heard someone saying Kimberly’s name. ‘Kimberly Roads?’ Kimberly stood up as fast as she could. So did Karen. 
‘That’s me.’ Kimberly said. 
‘I’m very sorry to tell this, Mrs. Roads, but your husband passed away.’ Kimberly started to scream and fell down on the floor. She was completely broken. 
‘What? Dead?’ Karen asked  and hugs Kimberly. 
‘I’m sorry, ma’am.’ The doctor walked always and left Kimberly and Karen alone.’