Chapter 10: Evangeline

2009

Karen rolled out of her bunk and laid down on the couch. She was wondering why she actually got out of her bed, then she remembered Kimberly yelling something about breakfast. 

Never mind, she thought.

She wanted to close her eyes again when Daisy and Penelopi  ran in. One grabbed her feet and the other her hand and pulled.

‘’Aunt Kiki do you want to play with us?’’ they shouted at the same time.

Karen hoped as long as she closed her eyes and didn’t said a thing the girls would leave her alone but that wasn’t the case. 

‘’Come on, aunt Kiki, you need to play with us!’’ Penelopi shouted.

‘’Yes, across the bus there are swings!’’ Daisy said.

‘’Please?’’ Karen was surprised about how many words they said at the same time.

She stood up. ‘’Okay, fine. Where is it?’’ 

‘’Yay!’’ the girls yelled and pulled her outside the bus.

‘’Where are you going?’’ Rebecca asked.

‘’To the swings!’’ Penelopi said and gave her mother a kiss.

While the girls were yelling,  Karen barley could keep her eyes open.

‘’Where are the girls?’’ Kimberly walked outside of the bus.

‘’At the swings with Karen.’’ Rebecca said while she ate a sandwich.

‘’I see the girls but no Karen.’’ 

‘’What?’’

Kimberly and Phillip ran to the swings.

‘’Oh gussie, poor girl.’’ Kimberly said. 

They saw Karen fell asleep on the bench.

‘’I’ll drag her back, do you take the girls with you?’’ Phillip lifted Karen up and they walked back to the bus.

Jimi ran out of it. ‘’What happened to Karen?’’ he sounded worried.

‘’Nothing, she just fell asleep. I’ll lay her in her bunk.’’ Phillip said.

‘’Typical an action for Karen.’’ Kimberly giggled.

‘’I think she’s tired. She barley slept this night, I kept hear her moving the whole time and she went to the toilet for like five times.’’ Phillip put on his sunglasses while he joined the others at the table.

‘’She always goes to the toilet at night, twice.’’ Jimi explained.

‘’She should take some rest.’’  Rebecca said.

‘’Maybe she should take a break from us, just for a few days. I think the girls keep her up at night.’’ Kimberly proposed.

‘’Good luck with that, she probably doesn’t want to admit it.’’ Jimi was laughing about a typical 2-year old joke Penelopi told Daisy.

‘’Well, she can’t sleep all day every day.’’

‘’True that.  I’ll talk to her.’’

When the Sweets and Schlapman’s went downtown with their little girls, Jimi took a look by his wife.

He dropped a glass on the floor by accident which woke Karen up.

‘’Jimi?’’ she asked.

‘’I’m here.’’ He showed his face.

‘’Hi.’’ She whispered and smiled to him.