Chapter 18: A Place To Land

2014

"Did you know that Kimberly said 'fuck' multiply times and out of panic almost hit Schlap?" Karen giggeled.
Jimi whisteled. "Kim's becoming ageressive!"
"No, but she did that when she found out about me, ya know. I kinda feel guilty for that." The two sat at the kitchen table together. Karen was working on her bucket list again, ideas keep coming.
Jimi looked at the second piece of paper Karen was writing her life goals on down.
"Taking professional ballroom dance classes?" He let his finger land on it. "Please don't write my name behind that."
"It's about me, not you." She took a sip of her sweet tea. "But I would really like to do that, ya know."
"Yeah, you should catch up your dancing again. It was good. And sexy." Jimi giggeled.
"Shut up," she threw the pencil to Jimi.
He catched it and gave it back.
"but I don't want to go alone."
"Ask Philly." Jimi said.
Phillip, hm... He and Karen used to dance together sometimes in the past. Both love to dance but their partners can't dance and/or don't like it.

"Ballroom dance classes?!" Phillip asked. "Rebecca what?"
"I signed you up for ballroom dance classes with Karen, yes."
"Why?"
"Because you need a hobby!"
"But I already have a-"
"Phillip, with a hobby I mean a real hobby. Not watching Netflix with Penelopi all day."
"Hey! At least I spend a lot of time with my daughter."
Rebecca sighed. "Seriously, I-"
"Ya mad hun?"
"You! You, you... just interuped me!" She shouted.
"Oh my, who interuped me a minute ago?"
"But I have the right to do that!"
He sighed.
"Phillip, you are going! Tuesday night, NO discussion!"
"Well, at least I have a pretty dance partner." Phillip giggeled.
Rebecca turned around and left Phillip alone in the kitchen.

"I can't believe I'm sitting here with you."
"I can't believe I'm actually sitting here. I mean, I could have laid on the couch watchin' a new episode of Orange Is The New Black!"
Phillip and Karen had turned their heads to each other and were whispering.
"If you don't want to do this, then you don't have to know this, ya know."
"Says you. But if I come home, Rebecca grabs my hair and pulls me back. Plus, I'm here for you. I will not let you alone with a bunch of idiots."
Karen looked around and moved closer to Phillip. "You're right about the idiot part." she giggeled. "But thank you Phillip, thank you for being here with me. I'd probably piss my pants if I had to go alone."
"And you would probably end up dancing with some weirdo."
"Exactly! Welcome to my world, I'm Bad Luck Karen."
"Well hello Bad Luck Karen, I'm Jimmy, y'alls teacher of tonight." A guy had stood up. He was wearing an awful red shirt.
Karen sighed and didn't heard the rest he was saying. Jimmy... why is that name following her around? Since the Swimcoach Jimmy-scene, she read and heard that name everywhere! And to make it worse, her husband is also called like that but, only his name is spelled differently.
There are more then 6 ways to write that damn name and I hates 'em all six. Well, not Jimi but... it's confusing, ya know, Karen thought.
She startled, someone squeezed in her nose. "Phillip!" He stood against her with crossed arms.
"Lemme guess, you didn't heard what Jimmy said."
Jimmy...
"I, I did!"
"What's his dance partners name then?"
"Miranda?" Karen sighed. "It's the name, okay? It still hurts."
Her eyes, Phillip remembers that look. Karen used to have that look in her eyes too the time she was sick. Very depressing and sad.
She lifted her shoulders up and hid her hands in her sleeves.
"Oh Kiki." Phillip gave her a hug.
She let go first and nodded. "Thank you. You're the only one who notices when I need a hug or something."
"That's why we are friends."
"Shall we go back to the others? I guess they are waiting for us."

"One step, one step and two!" Jimmy kept repeating that for over an hour already. He also had told them a plenty of times that they start with the basic. "In two months you can compare yourself to someone from Dancing With The Stars."
Karen's hand laid on Phillip's shoulder and she followed his moves around the room. The two looked in each others eyes but were actually day dreaming.