Chapter 12: Front Porch Thing part 2

2010

Karen sat on the hospital bed waiting for the doctor to do some final tests before she could go home. She was starring at her boots while thinking about everything that happened the past two days. 

How could I be so stupid, she thought, if I didn’t want to catch my stupid sunglasses I still had my baby.

Tears appeared in her eyes. She was really scared that Jimi would be mad at her but he didn’t blamed her anything. He’s been with her all days and nights in the hospital. 

‘’Mrs. Fairchild?’’ 

‘’Oh, yes. Sorry.’’ Karen looked up, the doctor walked into her room.

The two shook hands.

‘’I don’t expect anything weird, you can go home after I checked your heartbeat.’’ Dr. Harris looked around him. ‘’Were is your husband.’’

‘’Jimi? Oh, he’s getting some coffee downstairs. He’ll be here soon.’’

‘’Alright. Shoot, I forgot my pen. I’m back in less then two minutes.’’

‘’Sure.’’

When the doctor walked out of the room Karen started to feel a bit sick. She closed her eyes and tried to relax but out of nothing a painful sting in her stomach like someone stabbed her.

‘’Oh my God.’’ She whispered, she could barley breathe because of the pain. Another sting came and she laid back down on the bed, she started to scream.

‘’Mrs. Fairchild!’’ the doctor ran into the room. ‘’I need a nurse! Nurse!’’

‘’What’s going on here?! Karen!’’ Jimi ran to his wife and grabbed her hand. ‘’What’s wrong?’’ he yelled.

‘’It’s her stomach.’’ The doctor said to Jimi and turned around to two nurses. ‘’Give her something what makes her calm and we’re doing a scan.’’

‘’I’m going to die, Jimi, die.’’ Karen laid in the hospital bed. Again. Like the other days, Jimi was by her side holding her hand.

‘’Of course not, silly.’’ Jimi was horrified by the things Karen said about her death. 

They were waiting for the results from the latest test.

‘’Are you feeling better?’’ Jimi asked.

‘’Yes.’’ Karen replied. ‘’You know, it felt like someone stabbed in my stomach. Not that I know how it feels that someone stabs in my stomach but I have no other words to describe it.’’

‘’Everything is going to be okay, honey.’’ Jimi squeezed in Karen’s hand. 

At that moment the doctor walked into the room.

‘’I have the results…’’ Usual doctors line.

He had a weird smile on his face.

‘’Do I have to upgrade my will?’’ Karen asked.

‘’Karen!’’ Jimi whispered.

‘’Actually, no.’’ Dr. Harris had to laugh.

Why is he laughing, Karen thought, I wasn’t even making a joke and what on Earth is that weird smile on his face?

‘’I have very good news, about the baby. We made a mistake, because Mrs. Fairchild fell on her head and stomach we expected that the baby would be dead, we didn’t checked it. We wanted to wait until Mrs. Fairchild recovered from her concussion but anyway, the baby’s still alive.’’