Complicated

(Asher)

Depending on the beautiful shit life tends to throw at us, I've successfully summed up and categorized them into subcategories. When life throws the good shit at us, feeble, minute creatures, I call it fortune. Sometimes miracles, or straight up luck. When life throws the bad shit at us that makes us want to end it all, or figure what the fuck we did wrong, I call it misfortune or a curse, or the Goddess having a good laugh with her twisted sense of humour.

Jace Conner's previous situation is what I'd call a misfortune, having been diagnosed with a tumour in his brain that was slowly killing him, Jace had to quit the basketball team when it started affecting his ability to perform. His grades dropped, he lost friends because they were some superficial fucks which is partly the reason Jace never told them about the reason he quit the team in the first place. Jace used to be human, and his mate, is Sky Daniels, our pack's third-in-command.

Push came to shove, Jace was dying and Sky had to make a decision. We should all be grateful that Sky's a motherfucking beast when it comes to his werewolf strength, size, dominance, power, healing enzymes and all that shit. His enzymes when injected into Jace's blood stream through his engagement mark was enough to stabilize Jace that he was discharged from the hospital and able to mate with Sky.

Remember what I said about how Jace used to be human? Remember how I mentioned Sky's pretty much a fucking beast? Well; about a week or two after they mated, Jace went into transition; and he became a full-fledged werewolf with a beautiful dark blonde pelt with speckles of black and deep brown. Human mates in the werewolf world are not prohibited nor are they deemed taboo. They happen. Just not as often; and a transition taking place is even less likely to occur.

But it happened.

Jace Conner's story is a tale of a boy who went from living misfortune to straight up fucking miracles. And trust me, no one is happier than I am that Jace survived and Sky was able to step up to his position as Marcana's third-in-command. Personally, I love my station as fourth-in-command. I'm a warrior wolf, and I don't have to deal with the boring administrative logistics that come with being leader.

And that's pretty much where everything goes to fucking shit for me.

I've found my mate. And I fucking hate him.

I know nothing of him, other than his name, he's new in town, his position in his pack and he's a fucking asshole. His name is Jaxon West, and he's the beta of his pack. A pack which I care naught to acknowledge, because simply, I wish he'd just vanish.

Werewolves find their mates at the age of sixteen or in a better sense then, their ability to seek out their mate is activated and even over a great distance, they can feel the pull of the mate bond, a sign that somewhere out there, your chosen one awaits your arrival or is searching for you. However, legally, by werewolf law, we're not allowed to mate to until we're eighteen or given permission by the alpha for whatever reasons like what happened between Jace and Sky.

I had first felt the mating bond grow stronger with the arrival of new wolves into our town, one of which I met not very long after since he was my age and therefore, attended the same school as myself, the three prominent future leaders of my pack and their mates. There's a private academy for werewolves but not all packs believe in sending their children to live halfway across country for almost nine months out of the year. So, we just went to the local high school.

Anyway, I'd first met him in my English class and the look on his face when he saw me and realized we were mates was by far the most hilarious thing I've had the pleasure of seeing. He was so confused with the way his brows and nose wrinkled, and the way his lips curled. He was confused because while he knew I was a werewolf, my hair threw him off.