It's A Trap

(Jaxon)

My nerves were shot, mind racing, and there was a stubborn tremble in my hands that refused to leave.

I'd been able to rest, though uneasily, last night. For a bit anyway.

Until something happened. It came like the bogeyman barging into my dreams at night, startling me awake in a cold sweat. My chest heaved violently, and I was struggling to breathe right.

I was in pain.

I had fallen out of bed, clutching at my chest and taking deep gulps of air to return my racing heart and mind to normalcy. For close to an hour, it did nothing and I was beyond terrified.

I thought I was having a panic attack. All the commotion I'd created, drew the attention of everyone inside the Daniels' residence. Sky and Jace had come barging inside the guestroom. Andre and Alistair had opted to guard me like hawks instead of resting, so they swiftly followed.

They tried to calm me down, but all the patience they had approached me with refused to do anything. It was like a raging inferno I couldn't control, because soon that pain and laboured breathing turned into raw anger and blind rage.

I was spiralling out of control and beyond the anger and pain, fear was deeply rooted inside. I didn't want to turn back to the violence, the drugs, the darkness.

I'd gotten better. So I didn't understand what could have possibly caused me to spark off the way I did.

And out of nowhere, too.

It'd gotten to the point where Andre had to forcefully restrain me while Alistair knocked me out.

By the time I'd come to again, one or two hours later, I was chained to a chair, and Hunter, Carter, and even Isaiah were present.

They tried to understand what happened, and all I had done was succumb to a fit of tears once I'd processed the pain and anger.

I knew exactly what happened. I'd felt that pain before. It was similar to mates sensing each other's emotions but in this case, it was physical pain mixed in with emotions that clashed against my own raging fear and worry that brought on the mother of all panic attacks.

The last time it happened, I'd gone crazy. I'd hurt people. My own pack mates. Not even my father knew what was happening. He was too busy trying to keep me calm and keep me locked inside Black Rock territory despite my desperate pleas that something was terribly wrong.

I had felt an ache in my chest. I was scared and felt helpless.

And when the autopsy report came, I read something in that file that shattered me. It explained why I went crazy. Those fuckers had raped Bentley, repeatedly.

And now they'd done it to Asher.

It was Bentley all over again.

But I still couldn't understand why deep down, I felt calm. It certainly wasn't my emotions. My mindset was the furthest from it.

Noon was approaching and we were hitting dead end after dead end. We'd managed to capture a few Blackwater wolves under Tobias. Marcana's current fourth-in-command and future beta were presently carrying out interrogations in Marcana's holding that was located further into the woods and about two miles from the pack's residential area.

I was there too, along with Tucker who had also skipped out on school. So far, the team of trackers he led hadn't come up with anything.

I sat on the couch in the lounge, wringing my hands together, trying to keep myself calm and from doing anything I might regret. Hunter had only left for a brief while earlier on to ensure JJ got dressed so that he could drop her to school. He'd promptly returned to Marcana and had been closely watching me while he'd sent Andre and Alistair to join Tucker's search party.